Department of Computer Science
Grade 7:-33,797 - 35,845Fixed Term-Full TimeContract Duration:24 monthsContracted Hours per Week:35Closing Date:28-Dec-2020, 7:59:00 AM
Durham University is one of the world's top universities with strengths across the Arts and Humanities, Sciences and Social Sciences. We are home to some of the most talented scholars and researchers from around the world who are tackling global issues and making a difference to people's lives.
The University sits in a beautiful historic city where it shares ownership of a UNESCO World Heritage Site with Durham Cathedral, the greatest Romanesque building in Western Europe. A collegiate University, Durham recruits outstanding students from across the world and offers an unmatched wider student experience.
Less than 3 hours north of London, and an hour and a half south of Edinburgh, County Durham is a region steeped in history and natural beauty. The Durham Dales, including the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, are home to breathtaking scenery and attractions. Durham offers an excellent choice of city, suburban and rural residential locations. The University provides a range of benefits including pension and childcare benefits and the Universitys Relocation Manager can assist with potential schooling requirements.
Durham University seeks to promote and maintain an inclusive and supportive environment for work and study that assists all members of our University community to reach their full potential. Diversity brings strength and we welcome applications from across the international, national and regional communities that we work with and serve.
The Department of Computer Science is rapidly expanding it will more than double in size over the next 10 years from 18 to approximately 40 staff. A new building for the department (joint with Mathematical Sciences) will be built to house the expanded Department, and is expected to be completed in 2021. The current Department has research strengths in (1) algorithms and complexity, (2) computer vision, imaging, and visualisation and (3) high-performance computing, cloud computing, and simulation. We work closely with industry and government departments.
Research-led teaching is a key strength of the Department, which came 5th in the Complete University Guide. The department offers BSc and MEng undergraduate degrees and is currently redeveloping its interdisciplinary taught postgraduate degrees. The size of its student cohort has more than trebled in the past five years. The Department has an exceptionally strong External Advisory Board that provides strategic support for developing research and education, consisting of high-profile industrialists and academics.
Computer Science is one of the very best UK Computer Science Departments with an outstanding reputation for excellence in teaching, research and employability of our students.
We are seeking a full-time Postdoctoral Research Associate (PDRA) to join Prof. Toby Breckon's research team at Durham University. The post is funded, for an initial fixed-term period of 24months, by an ongoing portfolio of research work primarily spanning aspects of automatic object detection and classification for wide-area visual surveillance (in collaboration with a large industrial partner) in addition to use in aviation security (in collaboration with UK and US government) and sensing for future autonomous vehicles (in collaboration with a number of industrial collaborators).
The researcher will have the opportunity to work on common themes of machine learning research with applications across several funded work streams within the group. They will consider the use of cutting-edge deep learning algorithms for image classification and generalized data understanding tasks (object detection, human pose and behaviour understanding, and materials discrimination), in addition to integrated aspects of visual tracking and stereo vision across a range of image modalities. Specifically, they will investigate novel aspects of automatic adaptability of contemporary machine learning approaches as an aspect of these tasks. They will develop software algorithms, manage their own academic research in addition to project delivery to a range of external industrial and government collaborators.
In addition to published research output, the candidate can expect their research to have significant impact across a range of industrial/governmental collaborators and form a major innovation contributor to future visual surveillance and vehicle autonomy applications.
The post the offers an outstanding opportunity to gain a strong research track record in an exciting and fast-moving area of applied computer vision and machine learning whilst working in an environment with high levels of external collaboration and industrial research impact.
Further details on the research portfolio can be found on the following website:
Prof. Toby Breckon, publications and demos:https://www.durham.ac.uk/toby.breckon/
ThisPostdoctoral Research Associate (PDRA) post at Durham University requires an enthusiastic researcher with expertise in the development of computer vision, image processing and/or machine learning techniques.The project work with external collaborators requires someone who can develop robust, well-documented code efficiently and have an ability to work with exotic sensing hardware as required. Researchers lacking evidence of code development in a delivery environment, or strong potential to work as part of a multidisciplinary team spanning multiple organisations are unlikely to be successful.It is fixed term for 24 months due to external funding.
While the post is based for the full period in Durham, it will be necessary for the researcher to travel for meetings and/or system trials as part of the project. There will also be the opportunity for the researcher to attend national and international conferences to present the work, and there will be opportunities to gain experience of teaching at undergraduate level. The researcher will join the Innovative Computing Research Group within the Department.
The post-holder is employed to work on research/a research project which will be led by another colleague. Whilst this means that the post-holder will not be carrying out independent research in his/her own right, the expectation is that they will contribute to the advancement of the project, through the development of their own research ideas/adaptation and development of research protocols.
Successful applicants will, ideally, be in post byJanuary 2021.
How to Apply
For informal enquiries please contactProf. Toby Breckon,email@example.com.All enquiries will be treated in the strictest confidence.
We prefer to receive applications online via the Durham University Vacancies Site.https://www.dur.ac.uk/jobs/. As part of the application process, you should provide details of 3 (preferably academic/research) referees and the details of your current line manager so that we may seek an employment reference.
Applications are particularly welcome from women and black and minority ethnic candidates, who are under-represented in academic posts in theUniversity.
What to Submit
All applicants are asked to submit:
The assessment for the post will includeformal interview and a presentation of recent research results.Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview and assessment (Date TBC)
DBS Requirement:Not Applicable.
- AI and Machine Learning are Expected to Improve Fintech Apps in India, with Support from Regulators - Crowdfund Insider - January 2nd, 2021
- Four Benefits Of Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning In Banking - CIO Applications - January 2nd, 2021
- Machine Learning for Child and Adolescent Health: A Systematic Review - American Academy of Pediatrics - January 2nd, 2021
- What the hell is an AI factory? - The Next Web - January 2nd, 2021
- 2020: A Year Full of Amazing AI papers- A Review Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - January 2nd, 2021
- Ninjacart makes investment in machine learning to improve operations - InfotechLead.com - January 2nd, 2021
- Machine Learning As A Service Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - January 2nd, 2021
- Machine Learning Software Market Trends Forecast Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - LionLowdown - January 2nd, 2021
- New Study Report on Global Machine Learning in Medicine Market by Forecast to 2025 | Epic Systems, Cerner Corporation, McKesson, Allscripts and many... - January 2nd, 2021
- Machine Learning Market Size, Share, Analysis, Demand, Applications, Sale, Growth Insight, Trends, Leaders, Services and Forecast to 2025 -... - January 2nd, 2021
- How machines are changing the way companies talk - VentureBeat - January 2nd, 2021
- Boosting Weather Prediction with Machine Learning - Eos - November 28th, 2020
- Machine learning - it's all about the data - KHL Group - November 28th, 2020
- Need a Hypothesis? This A.I. Has One - The New York Times - November 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Together To Reach the Culmination of Growth By 2023 - thepolicytimes.com - November 28th, 2020
- Metal Geochemistry Meets Machine Learning in the North Atlantic - Hydro International - November 28th, 2020
- Machine Learning-Based Risk Assessment for Cancer Therapy-Related Cardiac Dysfunction in 4300 Longitudinal Oncology Patients - DocWire News - November 28th, 2020
- The 12 Coolest Machine-Learning Startups Of 2020 - CRN - November 19th, 2020
- Utilizing machine learning to uncover the right content at KMWorld Connect 2020 - KMWorld Magazine - November 19th, 2020
- The way we train AI is fundamentally flawed - MIT Technology Review - November 19th, 2020
- DIY Camera Uses Machine Learning to Audibly Tell You What it Sees - PetaPixel - November 19th, 2020
- Machine Learning Predicts How Cancer Patients Will Respond to Therapy - HealthITAnalytics.com - November 19th, 2020
- This New Machine Learning Tool Might Stop Misinformation - Digital Information World - November 19th, 2020
- Fujitsu, AIST and RIKEN Achieve Unparalleled Speed on MLPerf HPC Machine Learning Processing Benchmark - HPCwire - November 19th, 2020
- SVG Tech Insight: Increasing Value of Sports Content Machine Learning for Up-Conversion HD to UHD - Sports Video Group - November 19th, 2020
- SiMa.ai Adopts Arm Technology to Deliver a Purpose-built Heterogeneous Machine Learning Compute Platform for the Embedded Edge - Design and Reuse - November 19th, 2020
- Machine learning removes bias from algorithms and the hiring process - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2020
- Using machine learning to track the pandemic's impact on mental health - MIT News - November 6th, 2020
- AI Recognizes COVID-19 in the Sound of a Cough Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - November 6th, 2020
- The consistency of machine learning and statistical models in predicting clinical risks of individual patients - The BMJ - The BMJ - November 6th, 2020
- PathAI and Gilead Report Data from Machine Learning Model Predictions of Liver Disease Progression and Treatment Response at AASLD's The Liver Meeting... - November 6th, 2020
- Google Introduces New Analytics with Machine Learning and Predictive Models - IBL News - November 6th, 2020
- Free Webinar | Machine Learning and Data Analytics in the Pandemic Era - MIT Sloan - November 6th, 2020
- Global Predictive Analytics Market (2020 to 2025) - Advent of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2020
- Machine learning and predictive analytics work better together - TechTarget - October 31st, 2020
- Microsoft Introduces Lobe: A Free Machine Learning Application That Allows You To Create AI Models Without Coding - MarkTechPost - October 31st, 2020
- Amwell CMO: Google partnership will focus on AI, machine learning to expand into new markets - FierceHealthcare - October 31st, 2020
- Microsoft/MITRE group declares war on machine learning vulnerabilities with Adversarial ML Threat Matrix - Diginomica - October 31st, 2020
- 93% of security operations centers employing AI and machine learning tools to detect advanced threats - Security Magazine - October 31st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Insurance Market(COVID-19 Analysis): Indoor Applications Projected to be the Most Attractive Segment during 2020-2027 - Global... - October 31st, 2020
- Leveraging Machine Learning and IDP to Scale Your Automation Program - AiiA - October 31st, 2020
- 5 machine learning skills you need in the cloud - TechTarget - October 31st, 2020
- Machine learning approach could detect drivers of atrial fibrillation - Cardiac Rhythm News - October 31st, 2020
- Vanderbilt trans-institutional team shows how next-gen wearable sensor algorithms powered by machine learning could be key to preventing injuries that... - October 31st, 2020
- Machine Learning & Big Data Analytics Education Market Size And Forecast (2020-2026)| With Post Impact Of Covid-19 By Top Leading Players-... - October 31st, 2020
- The security threat of adversarial machine learning is real - TechTalks - October 31st, 2020
- Bridging the Skills Gap for AI and Machine Learning - Integration Developers - October 23rd, 2020
- Nudges and machine learning triples advanced care conversations - Penn Today - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine Learning and AI Can Now Create Plastics That Easily Degrade - Science Times - October 23rd, 2020
- insitro Strengthens Machine Learning-Based Drug Discovery Capabilities with Acquisition of Haystack Sciences - Business Wire - October 23rd, 2020
- Revolutionizing IoT with Machine Learning at the Edge | Perceive's Steve Teig - IoT For All - October 23rd, 2020
- Mastercard Says its AI and Machine Learning Solutions Aim to Stop Fraudulent Activites which have Increased Significantly due to COVID - Crowdfund... - October 23rd, 2020
- Abstract Perspective: Long-term PM2.5 Exposure and the Clinical Application of Machine Learning for Predicting Incident Atrial Fibrillation - DocWire... - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine-Learning Inference Chip Travels to the Edge - Electronic Design - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine Learning Data Catalog Software Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors IBM, Alation,... - October 23rd, 2020
- AI and machine learning: a gift, and a curse, for cybersecurity - Healthcare IT News - October 21st, 2020
- Teaming Up with Arm, NXP Ups Its Place in the Machine Learning Industry - News - All About Circuits - October 21st, 2020
- Machine Learning Capabilities Come to the Majority of Open Source Databases with MindsDB AI-Tables - PR Web - October 21st, 2020
- Soleadify secures seed funding for database that uses machine learning to track 40M businesses - TechCrunch - October 21st, 2020
- NXP Announces Expansion of its Scalable Machine Learning Portfolio and Capabilities - GlobeNewswire - October 21st, 2020
- NXP Invests in Au-Zone to Enhance Machine Learning Capabilities - Mobile ID World - October 21st, 2020
- Factories of The Future Are Using Machine Learning Analytics to Optimize Assets - Embedded Computing Design - October 21st, 2020
- Lantronix Brings Advanced AI and Machine Learning to Smart Cameras With New Open-Q 610 SOM Based on the Powerful Qualcomm QCS610 System on Chip (SOC)... - October 21st, 2020
- EMA Webinar to Uncover How Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics Can Improve Workload Automation Outcomes - PR Web - October 21st, 2020
- How To Choose The Best Machine Learning Algorithm For A Particular Problem? - Analytics India Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Technologies Expected to Play a Key Role in Expanding Multi Billion Dollar Digital Banking Sector: Report - Crowdfund Insider - October 21st, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Amazon AI executive explains three things every business needs to address before using machine lear - Business Insider India - October 21st, 2020
- Photoshops AI neural filters can tweak age and expression with a few clicks - The Verge - October 21st, 2020
- Futurism Reinforces Its Next-Gen Business Commerce Platform With Advanced Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2020
- Purebase Enhances Its Board of Advisors with An Expert on Machine Learning and Cheminformatics - GlobeNewswire - October 15th, 2020
- How to Beat Analysts and the Stock Market with Machine Learning - Knowledge@Wharton - October 15th, 2020
- Synopsys and SiMa.ai Collaborate to Bring Machine Learning Inference at Scale to the Embedded Edge - AiThority - October 15th, 2020
- Robotic Interviews, Machine Learning And the Future Of Workforce Recruitment - Entrepreneur - October 15th, 2020
- Top 8 Books on Machine Learning In Cybersecurity One Must Read - Analytics India Magazine - October 15th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Can Help Fintechs if We Focus on Practical Implementation and Move Away from Overhyped Narratives, Researcher Says - Crowdfund... - October 15th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Can Help FIs Avoid Riskbut They Have Risk of Their Own - PR Web - October 15th, 2020
- Machine learning for rowdy roadies: Cops and tech to rein in traffic offenders - Bangalore Mirror - October 15th, 2020
- Automated ATOs and cybersecurity - FCW.com - October 15th, 2020
- Experian partners with Standard Chartered to drive Financial Inclusion with Machine Learning, powering the next generation of Decisioning - Yahoo... - October 15th, 2020
- Machine Learning Answers: Facebook Stock Is Down 20% In A Month, What Are The Chances It'll Rebound? - Trefis - September 22nd, 2020