In episode 88 of the IoT For All Podcast, Perceive Founder and CEO Steve Teig joins us to talk about how Perceive is bringing the next wave of intelligence to IoT through machine learning at the edge. Steve shares how Perceive developed Ergo, their chip announced back in March, and how these new machine learning capabilities will transform consumer IoT.
Steve Teig is an award-winning technologist, entrepreneur, and inventor on 388 US patents. Hes been the CTO of three EDA software companies, two biotech companies, and a semiconductor company of these, two went public during his tenure, two were acquired, and one is a Fortune 500 company. As the CEO and Founder of Perceive, Steve is leading a team building solutions and transformative machine learning technology for consumer edge devices.
To start the episode, Steve gave us some background on how Perceive got started. While serving as CTO of Xperi, Steve worked with a wide array of imaging and audio products and saw an opportunity in making the edge smart by leveraging machine learning at the edge. What if you could make gadgets themselves intelligent? Steve asked, thats what motivated me to pursue it technically and then commercially with Perceive.
At its core, Perceive builds chips and machine learning software for edge inference, providing data center class accuracy at the low power that edge devices, like IoT, require. The kinds of applications we go after, Steve said, are from doorbell cameras to home security cameras, to toys, to phones wherever you have a sensor, it would be cool to make that sensor understand its environment without sending data to the cloud.
Of the current solutions for device intelligence, Steve said you have two options and neither of them are ideal: first, you can send all of the data your sensor collects to someone elses cloud, giving up your privacy; or second, you can have a tiny chip that, while low power enough for your device, doesnt provide the computing power to provide answers you can actually trust.
We fix that problem by providing the kind of sophistication you would expect from the big cloud providers, but low enough power that you can run it at the edge, Steve said, saying that their chip is 20 to 100 times more power efficient than anything else currently in the market.
Steve also spoke to some of the use cases that Ergo enables. Currently, the main applications are doorbell cameras, home security cameras, and appliances. As we look forward, Steve said, being able to put really serious contextual awareness into gadgets opens up all kinds of applications. One of the examples he gave was a microwave that could identify both the user and the food to be heated, and adjust its settings to match that users preferences. Another example would be a robot vacuum cleaner that you could ask to find your shoes.
Changing gears, Steve shared Perceives philosophy on machine learning, saying that because they were looking to make massive improvements they had to start fresh. We had to start with the math. We really started from first principles. That philosophy has led to a number of new and proprietary techniques, both on the software and hardware side.
Moving more into the industry at large, Steve shared some observations in the smart home space during the pandemic. Those observations highlighted two somewhat conflicting viewpoints while there has been a broader interest in smart home technology, with people spending more time at home, people have also become more sensitive about their privacy. Steve also shared how Ergo handles data, in order to meet these security and privacy concerns.
To close out the episode, Steve shared some of the challenges his team faced while developing Ergo and what those challenges meant as he built out the team itself. He also shared some of his thoughts on the future of the smart home and consumer IoT space, with the introduction of these new machine learning capabilities.
Interested in connecting with Steve? Reach out to him on Linkedin!
About Perceive: Steve Teig, founder and CEO of Perceive, drove the creation of the company in 2018 while CTO of its parent company and investor, Xperi. Launching Perceive, Steve and his team had the ambitious goal of enabling state-of-the-art inference inside edge devices running at extremely low power. Adopting an entirely new perspective on machine learning and neural networks allowed Steve and his team to very quickly build and deploy the software, tools, and inference processor Ergo that make the complete Perceive solution.
(00:50) Intro to Steve
(01:25) How did you come to found Perceive?
(02:30) What does Perceive do? Whats your role in the IoT space?
(03:37) What makes your offering unique to the market?
(04:49) Could you share any use cases?
(09:41) How would you describe your philosophy when it comes to machine learning?
(11:37) What is Ergo and what does it do?
(12:39) What does a typical customer engagement look like?
(14:57) Have you seen any change in demand due to the pandemic?
(20:47) What challenges have you encountered building Perceive and Ergo?
(22:24) Where do you see the market going for smart home devices?
- The 12 Coolest Machine-Learning Startups Of 2020 - CRN - November 19th, 2020
- Utilizing machine learning to uncover the right content at KMWorld Connect 2020 - KMWorld Magazine - November 19th, 2020
- The way we train AI is fundamentally flawed - MIT Technology Review - November 19th, 2020
- DIY Camera Uses Machine Learning to Audibly Tell You What it Sees - PetaPixel - November 19th, 2020
- Machine Learning Predicts How Cancer Patients Will Respond to Therapy - HealthITAnalytics.com - November 19th, 2020
- This New Machine Learning Tool Might Stop Misinformation - Digital Information World - November 19th, 2020
- Fujitsu, AIST and RIKEN Achieve Unparalleled Speed on MLPerf HPC Machine Learning Processing Benchmark - HPCwire - November 19th, 2020
- SVG Tech Insight: Increasing Value of Sports Content Machine Learning for Up-Conversion HD to UHD - Sports Video Group - November 19th, 2020
- SiMa.ai Adopts Arm Technology to Deliver a Purpose-built Heterogeneous Machine Learning Compute Platform for the Embedded Edge - Design and Reuse - November 19th, 2020
- Machine learning removes bias from algorithms and the hiring process - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2020
- Using machine learning to track the pandemic's impact on mental health - MIT News - November 6th, 2020
- AI Recognizes COVID-19 in the Sound of a Cough Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - November 6th, 2020
- The consistency of machine learning and statistical models in predicting clinical risks of individual patients - The BMJ - The BMJ - November 6th, 2020
- PathAI and Gilead Report Data from Machine Learning Model Predictions of Liver Disease Progression and Treatment Response at AASLD's The Liver Meeting... - November 6th, 2020
- Google Introduces New Analytics with Machine Learning and Predictive Models - IBL News - November 6th, 2020
- Free Webinar | Machine Learning and Data Analytics in the Pandemic Era - MIT Sloan - November 6th, 2020
- Global Predictive Analytics Market (2020 to 2025) - Advent of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2020
- Machine learning and predictive analytics work better together - TechTarget - October 31st, 2020
- Microsoft Introduces Lobe: A Free Machine Learning Application That Allows You To Create AI Models Without Coding - MarkTechPost - October 31st, 2020
- Amwell CMO: Google partnership will focus on AI, machine learning to expand into new markets - FierceHealthcare - October 31st, 2020
- Microsoft/MITRE group declares war on machine learning vulnerabilities with Adversarial ML Threat Matrix - Diginomica - October 31st, 2020
- 93% of security operations centers employing AI and machine learning tools to detect advanced threats - Security Magazine - October 31st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Insurance Market(COVID-19 Analysis): Indoor Applications Projected to be the Most Attractive Segment during 2020-2027 - Global... - October 31st, 2020
- Leveraging Machine Learning and IDP to Scale Your Automation Program - AiiA - October 31st, 2020
- 5 machine learning skills you need in the cloud - TechTarget - October 31st, 2020
- Machine learning approach could detect drivers of atrial fibrillation - Cardiac Rhythm News - October 31st, 2020
- Vanderbilt trans-institutional team shows how next-gen wearable sensor algorithms powered by machine learning could be key to preventing injuries that... - October 31st, 2020
- Machine Learning & Big Data Analytics Education Market Size And Forecast (2020-2026)| With Post Impact Of Covid-19 By Top Leading Players-... - October 31st, 2020
- The security threat of adversarial machine learning is real - TechTalks - October 31st, 2020
- Bridging the Skills Gap for AI and Machine Learning - Integration Developers - October 23rd, 2020
- Nudges and machine learning triples advanced care conversations - Penn Today - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine Learning and AI Can Now Create Plastics That Easily Degrade - Science Times - October 23rd, 2020
- insitro Strengthens Machine Learning-Based Drug Discovery Capabilities with Acquisition of Haystack Sciences - Business Wire - October 23rd, 2020
- Mastercard Says its AI and Machine Learning Solutions Aim to Stop Fraudulent Activites which have Increased Significantly due to COVID - Crowdfund... - October 23rd, 2020
- Abstract Perspective: Long-term PM2.5 Exposure and the Clinical Application of Machine Learning for Predicting Incident Atrial Fibrillation - DocWire... - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine-Learning Inference Chip Travels to the Edge - Electronic Design - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine Learning Data Catalog Software Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors IBM, Alation,... - October 23rd, 2020
- AI and machine learning: a gift, and a curse, for cybersecurity - Healthcare IT News - October 21st, 2020
- Teaming Up with Arm, NXP Ups Its Place in the Machine Learning Industry - News - All About Circuits - October 21st, 2020
- Machine Learning Capabilities Come to the Majority of Open Source Databases with MindsDB AI-Tables - PR Web - October 21st, 2020
- Soleadify secures seed funding for database that uses machine learning to track 40M businesses - TechCrunch - October 21st, 2020
- NXP Announces Expansion of its Scalable Machine Learning Portfolio and Capabilities - GlobeNewswire - October 21st, 2020
- NXP Invests in Au-Zone to Enhance Machine Learning Capabilities - Mobile ID World - October 21st, 2020
- Factories of The Future Are Using Machine Learning Analytics to Optimize Assets - Embedded Computing Design - October 21st, 2020
- Lantronix Brings Advanced AI and Machine Learning to Smart Cameras With New Open-Q 610 SOM Based on the Powerful Qualcomm QCS610 System on Chip (SOC)... - October 21st, 2020
- EMA Webinar to Uncover How Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics Can Improve Workload Automation Outcomes - PR Web - October 21st, 2020
- How To Choose The Best Machine Learning Algorithm For A Particular Problem? - Analytics India Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Technologies Expected to Play a Key Role in Expanding Multi Billion Dollar Digital Banking Sector: Report - Crowdfund Insider - October 21st, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Amazon AI executive explains three things every business needs to address before using machine lear - Business Insider India - October 21st, 2020
- Photoshops AI neural filters can tweak age and expression with a few clicks - The Verge - October 21st, 2020
- Futurism Reinforces Its Next-Gen Business Commerce Platform With Advanced Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2020
- Purebase Enhances Its Board of Advisors with An Expert on Machine Learning and Cheminformatics - GlobeNewswire - October 15th, 2020
- How to Beat Analysts and the Stock Market with Machine Learning - Knowledge@Wharton - October 15th, 2020
- Synopsys and SiMa.ai Collaborate to Bring Machine Learning Inference at Scale to the Embedded Edge - AiThority - October 15th, 2020
- Robotic Interviews, Machine Learning And the Future Of Workforce Recruitment - Entrepreneur - October 15th, 2020
- Top 8 Books on Machine Learning In Cybersecurity One Must Read - Analytics India Magazine - October 15th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Can Help Fintechs if We Focus on Practical Implementation and Move Away from Overhyped Narratives, Researcher Says - Crowdfund... - October 15th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Can Help FIs Avoid Riskbut They Have Risk of Their Own - PR Web - October 15th, 2020
- Machine learning for rowdy roadies: Cops and tech to rein in traffic offenders - Bangalore Mirror - October 15th, 2020
- Automated ATOs and cybersecurity - FCW.com - October 15th, 2020
- Experian partners with Standard Chartered to drive Financial Inclusion with Machine Learning, powering the next generation of Decisioning - Yahoo... - October 15th, 2020
- Machine Learning Answers: Facebook Stock Is Down 20% In A Month, What Are The Chances It'll Rebound? - Trefis - September 22nd, 2020
- Machine Learning in Education Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Proximity matters: Using machine learning and geospatial analytics to reduce COVID-19 exposure risk - Healthcare IT News - September 22nd, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Market Tends To Show Steady Growth Post Pandemic With Regional Overview and Top Key Players - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- PREDICTING THE OPTIMUM PATH - Port Strategy - September 22nd, 2020
- AI/ML Remains The Most In-Demand Tech Skill Post COVID - Analytics India Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Panalgo Brings the Power of Machine-Learning to the Healthcare Industry Via Its IHD Software - AiThority - September 15th, 2020
- Microchip Partners with Machine-Learning (ML) Software Leaders to Simplify AI-at-the-Edge Design Using its 32-Bit Microcontrollers (MCUs) - EE Journal - September 15th, 2020
- What is 'custom machine learning' and why is it important for programmatic optimisation? - The Drum - September 15th, 2020
- PODCAST: NVIDIA's Director of Data Science Talks Machine Learning for Airlines and Aerospace - Aviation Today - September 15th, 2020
- The Use of Machine Learning to Forecast Progression to Advanced AMD - DocWire News - September 15th, 2020
- How Can Machine Learning Help the Teaching Profession? - FE News - September 15th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning in Automobile Market: Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2024 - The Market Correspondent - September 15th, 2020
- Using machine learning to organize the chemical diversity - Tech Explorist - September 15th, 2020
- Dashboard AI Announces Its Technology Vision for the Foodservice and Hospitality Industry - PRNewswire - September 15th, 2020
- Alfa Releases Second Paper on AI, Using Machine Learning in the Wild - Monitor Daily - September 10th, 2020
- Combatting COVID-19 misinformation with machine learning (VB Live) - VentureBeat - September 10th, 2020
- This artist used machine learning to create realistic portraits of Roman emperors - The World - September 10th, 2020
- Domino Data Lab Named a Leader in Notebook-Based Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning Evaluation by Global Research Firm - Business Wire - September 10th, 2020