Artificial intelligence has been a hot technology area in recent years and machine learning, a subset of AI, is one of the most important segments of the whole AI arena.
Machine learning is the development of intelligent algorithms and statistical models that improve software through experience without the need to explicitly code those improvements. A predictive analysis application, for example, can become more accurate over time through the use of machine learning.
But machine learning has its challenges. Developing machine-learning models and systems requires a confluence of data science, data engineering and development skills. Obtaining and managing the data needed to develop and train machine-learning models is a significant task. And implementing machine-learning technology within real-world production systems can be a major hurdle.
Heres a look at a dozen startup companies, some that have been around for a few years and some just getting off the ground, that are addressing the challenges associated with machine learning.
Top Executive: Daeil Kim, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: New York
AI.Reverie develops AI and machine -earning technology for data generation, data labeling and data enhancement tasks for the advancement of computer vision. The companys simulation platform is used to help acquire, curate and annotate the large amounts of data needed to train computer vision algorithms and improve AI applications.
In October AI.Reverie was named a Gartner Cool Vendor in AI core technologies.
Top Executive: David Drai, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: Redwood City, Calif.
Anodots Deep 360 autonomous business monitoring platform uses machine learning to continuously monitor business metrics, detect significant anomalies and help forecast business performance.
Anodots algorithms have a contextual understanding of business metrics, providing real-time alerts that help users cut incident costs by as much as 80 percent.
Anodot has been granted patents for technology and algorithms in such areas as anomaly score, seasonality and correlation. Earlier this year the company raised $35 million in Series C funding, bringing its total funding to $62.5 million.
Top Executive: Francisco Martin, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: Corvallis, Ore.
BigML offers a comprehensive, managed machine-learning platform for easily building and sharing datasets and data models, and making highly automated, data-driven decisions. The companys programmable, scalable machine -earning platform automates classification, regression, time series forecasting, cluster analysis, anomaly detection, association discovery and topic modeling tasks.
The BigML Preferred Partner Program supports referral partners and partners that sell BigML and oversee implementation projects. Partner A1 Digital, for example, has developed a retail application on the BigML platform that helps retailers predict sales cannibalizationwhen promotions or other marketing activity for one product can lead to reduced demand for other products.
Top Executive: Matt Provo, Founder, CEO
Headquarters: Cambridge, Mass.
StormForge provides machine learning-based, cloud-native application testing and performance optimization software that helps organizations optimize application performance in Kubernetes.
StormForge was founded under the name Carbon Relay and developed its Red Sky Ops tools that DevOps teams use to manage a large variety of application configurations in Kubernetes, automatically tuning them for optimized performance no matter what IT environment theyre operating in.
This week the company acquired German company Stormforger and its performance testing-as-a-platform technology. The company has rebranded as StormForge and renamed its integrated product the StormForge Platform, a comprehensive system for DevOps and IT professionals that can proactively and automatically test, analyze, configure, optimize and release containerized applications.
In February the company said that it had raised $63 million in a funding round from Insight Partners.
Top Executive: Gideon Mendels, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: New York
Comet.ML provides a cloud-hosted machine-learning platform for building reliable machine-learning models that help data scientists and AI teams track datasets, code changes, experimentation history and production models.
Launched in 2017, Comet.ML has raised $6.8 million in venture financing, including $4.5 million in April 2020.
Top Executive: Florian Douetteau, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: New York
Dataikus goal with its Dataiku DSS (Data Science Studio) platform is to move AI and machine-learning use beyond lab experiments into widespread use within data-driven businesses. Dataiku DSS is used by data analysts and data scientists for a range of machine-learning, data science and data analysis tasks.
In August Dataiku raised an impressive $100 million in a Series D round of funding, bringing its total financing to $247 million.
Dataikus partner ecosystem includes analytics consultants, service partners, technology partners and VARs.
Top Executive: Ryohei Fujimaki, Founder, CEO
Headquarters: San Mateo, Calif.
DotData says its DotData Enterprise machine-learning and data science platform is capable of reducing AI and business intelligence development projects from months to days. The companys goal is to make data science processes simple enough that almost anyone, not just data scientists, can benefit from them.
The DotData platform is based on the companys AutoML 2.0 engine that performs full-cycle automation of machine-learning and data science tasks. In July the company debuted DotData Stream, a containerized AI/ML model that enables real-time predictive capabilities.
Top Executive: Ashutosh Garg, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: Mountain View, Calif.
Eightfold.AI develops the Talent Intelligence Platform, a human resource management system that utilizes AI deep learning and machine-learning technology for talent acquisition, management, development, experience and diversity. The Eightfold system, for example, uses AI and ML to better match candidate skills with job requirements and improves employee diversity by reducing unconscious bias.
In late October Eightfold.AI announced a $125 million Series round of financing, putting the startups value at more than $1 billion.
Top Executive: Sri Ambati, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: Mountain View, Calif.
H2O.ai wants to democratize the use of artificial intelligence for a wide range of users.
The companys H2O open-source AI and machine-learning platform, H2O AI Driverless automatic machine-learning software, H20 MLOps and other tools are used to deploy AI-based applications in financial services, insurance, health care, telecommunications, retail, pharmaceutical and digital marketing.
H2O.ai recently teamed up with data science platform developer KNIME to integrate Driverless AI for AutoMl with KNIME Server for workflow management across the entire data science life cyclefrom data access to optimization and deployment.
Top Executive: Asaf Somekh, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: New York
The Iguazio Data Science Platform for real-time machine learning applications automates and accelerates machine-learning workflow pipelines, helping businesses develop, deploy and manage AI applications at scale that improve business outcomeswhat the company calls MLOps.
In early 2020 Iguazio raised $24 million in new financing, bringing its total funding to $72 million.
Top Executive: Luis Ceze, Co-Founder, CEO
OctoMLs Software-as-a-Service Octomizer makes it easier for businesses and organizations to put deep learning models into production more quickly on different CPU and GPU hardware, including at the edge and in the cloud.
OctoML was founded by the team that developed the Apache TVM machine-learning compiler stack project at the University of Washingtons Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering. OctoMLs Octomizer is based on the TVM stack.
Top Executive: Mike Del Balso, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: San Francisco
Tecton just emerged from stealth in April 2020 with its data platform for machine learning that enables data scientists to turn raw data into production-ready machine-learning features. The startups technology is designed to help businesses and organizations harness and refine vast amounts of data into the predictive signals that feed machine-learning models.
The companys three founders: CEO Mike Del Balso, CTO Kevin Stumpf and Engineering Vice President Jeremy Hermann previously worked together at Uber where they developed the companys Michaelangelo machine-learning platform the ride-sharing company used to scale its operations to thousands of production models serving millions of transactions per second, according to Tecton.
The company started with $25 million in seed and Series A funding co-led by Andreessen Horowitz and Sequoia.
- Optimize manufacturing with AI, machine learning and digitalization - The Manufacturer - April 9th, 2021
- How machine learning can revolutionize the quality of hearing - TechHQ - April 9th, 2021
- Savills, MRI Software Announce Expanded Partnership to Accelerate AI and Machine Learning Capabilities for Knowledge Cubed - KPVI News 6 - April 9th, 2021
- PODCAST: rise of the machine (learning) - BlueNotes - April 9th, 2021
- 27 million galaxy morphologies quantified and cataloged with the help of machine learning | Penn Today - Penn Today - April 9th, 2021
- Rackspace Technology Works with Brave Software to Improve Machine Learning Functionality in the Web Browser - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- i.MX 8M plus eval kit with machine learning and voice and vision capabilities - Electropages - April 9th, 2021
- Machine Learning in Healthcare Market: Find Out Essential Strategies to expand The Business and Also Check Working in 2021-2029 KSU | The Sentinel... - April 9th, 2021
- The Top 20 Machine Learning Startups To Watch In 2021 - Enterprise Irregulars - April 8th, 2021
- Weaviate is an open-source search engine powered by ML, vectors, graphs, and GraphQL - ZDNet - April 8th, 2021
- Seeking the cellular mechanisms of disease, with help from machine learning - MIT News - April 8th, 2021
- PODCAST: rise of the machine (learning) - BlueNotes - BlueNotes - April 8th, 2021
- Machine Learning in Automotive Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis ... - April 8th, 2021
- Using "eyes in the sky" and AI to remotely rate insurance risks - Axios - April 8th, 2021
- Pear Therapeutics Expands Platform with Digital Biomarkers, Machine Learning Algorithms and Sensor-Based Technologies - Yahoo Finance - April 8th, 2021
- 5 industries that will see a staggering adoption of Machine Learning in 2021 - Express Computer - April 8th, 2021
- Sift to Host Live Virtual Event Featuring Gartner Analysts on Machine Learning-powered Fraud Detection, Creating Trust and Safety on the Internet -... - April 8th, 2021
- TigerGraph's Graph + AI Summit 2021 to Feature 40+ Sessions, Live Workshops and Speakers from JPMorgan Chase, NewDay, Pinterest, Jaguar Land Rover and... - April 8th, 2021
- AI and Machine Learning Operationalization Software Market to Witness Stellar CA - Business-newsupdate.com - April 8th, 2021
- Apple Reveals a Multi-Mode Planar Engine for a Neural Processor that could be used in A-Series & screamingly fast M1 Processors - Patently Apple - April 8th, 2021
- Foundations of Machine Learning | The MIT Press - April 2nd, 2021
- Increasing the Accessibility of Machine Learning at the Edge - Industry Articles - All About Circuits - April 2nd, 2021
- Splunk : Life as a PM on the Splunk Machine Learning Team - Marketscreener.com - April 2nd, 2021
- Is Machine Learning The Future Of Coffee Health Research? - Sprudge - April 2nd, 2021
- Machine learning tool sets out to find new antimicrobial peptides - Chemistry World - April 2nd, 2021
- Machine learning methods to predict mechanical ventilation and mortality in patients with COVID-19 - DocWire News - April 2nd, 2021
- CW Innovation Awards: Jio Platforms taps machine learning to manage telco network - ComputerWeekly.com - April 2nd, 2021
- Global Machine Learning-as-a-Service (MLaaS) Market Development Strategy, Manufacturers Analysis, COVID-19 impact, and Forecast 2020-2025 The Bisouv... - April 2nd, 2021
- inSearchX Partners with Strategic Vision's Using Machine Learning to Help Customers Find their Ideal Car With Uncanny Accuracy - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2021
- Machine Learning Operationalization Software Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top... - April 2nd, 2021
- 20 Best Machine Learning Books for Beginner & Experts in 2021 - March 18th, 2021
- Machine Learning Engineer vs. Data Scientist | Springboard ... - March 18th, 2021
- Transformer (machine learning model) - Wikipedia - March 18th, 2021
- OctoML raises $28M Series B for its machine learning ... - March 18th, 2021
- What Is Machine Learning? - Blog - I School Online - March 18th, 2021
- In-Depth Guide to Machine Learning in the Enterprise - March 18th, 2021
- How to become a machine learning engineer: A cheat sheet ... - March 18th, 2021
- Machine Learning | The MIT Press - March 18th, 2021
- Creating Machine Learning models in Power BI | Microsoft ... - March 18th, 2021
- Overcoming the Challenges Associated with Machine Learning and AI Strategies - EnterpriseTalk - March 18th, 2021
- Machine Learning Algorithms | Machine Learning | Intellipaat - March 18th, 2021
- Professor of Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning job with UNIVERSITY OF EAST LONDON | 249199 - Times Higher Education (THE) - March 18th, 2021
- Dascena Announces Publication of Results From Its Machine Learning Algorithm for Prediction of Acute Kidney Injury in Kidney International Reports -... - March 18th, 2021
- Machine learning calculates affinities of drug candidates and targets - Drug Target Review - March 18th, 2021
- What is Machine Learning? | IBM - March 8th, 2021
- Next Raspberry Pi CPU Will Have Machine Learning Built In - Tom's Hardware - March 8th, 2021
- Introducing Helios, The New Corrugated AI/Machine Learning Platform - WhatTheyThink - March 8th, 2021
- SSM Health innovates kidney care with predictive analytics and machine learning - Healthcare IT News - March 6th, 2021
- Revolution by Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Deep Learning in the healthcare industry - Times Now - March 6th, 2021
- Explainable Machine Learning, Model Transparency, and the Right to Explanation Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - March 6th, 2021
- Raytheon Applies AI, Machine Learning to Defense Tech Modeling, Simulation - Executive Mosaic Media - March 6th, 2021
- Home Lending Pal leverages AI and machine learning to efficiently solve lenders' and borrowers' problems - HousingWire - March 6th, 2021
- Companion Raises $8M Seed Round to Use Machine Learning and Computer Vision to Talk to Dogs - PRNewswire - March 6th, 2021
- March 2021 Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - March 6th, 2021
- An Epic cognitive computing platform primer - Healthcare IT News - February 26th, 2021
- D2iQ Introduces Cloud Native Platform to Accelerate the Deployment of Machine Learning on Kubernetes - PRNewswire - February 26th, 2021
- Machine Learning Engineers Are In High Demand. So, What Do They Do? - Analytics Insight - February 26th, 2021
- Updated Report of Machine Learning Software Market with Current Trends, Drivers, Strategies, Applications and Competitive Landscape 2026 The Bisouv... - February 26th, 2021
- The Machine Learning and Big Data in Risk Evaluation PhD Scholarship - News - The University of Sydney - February 26th, 2021
- Ontario Systems Acquires Pairity to Embed the Power of Machine Learning in Its Industry-Leading Collections Technology - PRNewswire - February 26th, 2021
- Global Machine Learning Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Component, Service, Deployment Model, Organization Size, Vertical, and... - February 26th, 2021
- Is machine learning about to replace traditional coaching? TrainerRoad announces Adaptive Training - BikeRadar.com - February 26th, 2021
- Mental health diagnoses and the role of machine learning - Health Europa - February 14th, 2021
- There Is No Silver Bullet Machine Learning Solution - Analytics India Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- Scientists use machine learning to tackle a big challenge in gene therapy - STAT - February 12th, 2021
- Getting Help from HAL: Applying Machine Learning to Predict Antibiotic Resistance - Contagionlive.com - February 12th, 2021
- How to expand your machine learning capabilities by installing TensorFlow on Ubuntu Server 20.04 - TechRepublic - February 12th, 2021
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Digital Humanities and Machine Learning job with DURHAM UNIVERSITY | 246392 - Times Higher Education (THE) - February 12th, 2021
- The head of JPMorgan's machine learning platform explained what it's like to work there - eFinancialCareers - February 12th, 2021
- 5 Ways the IoT and Machine Learning Improve Operations - BOSS Magazine - February 12th, 2021
- Rackspace Technology Study uncovers AI and Machine Learning knowledge gap in the UAE - Intelligent CIO ME - February 12th, 2021
- Parascript and SFORCE Partner to Leverage Machine Learning Eliminating Barriers to Automation - GlobeNewswire - February 12th, 2021
- How Blockchain and Machine Learning Impact on education system - ABCmoney.co.uk - February 12th, 2021
- If you know nothing about deep learning with Python, start here - TechTalks - February 12th, 2021
- Immunai raises $60M as it expands from improving immune therapies to discovering new ones, too - TechCrunch - February 12th, 2021
- Key Performance Metrics that Measure Impact of AIOps on Enterprises - eWeek - February 12th, 2021
- When Are We Going to Start Designing AI With Purpose? Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - January 31st, 2021
- Five trends in machine learning-enhanced analytics to watch in 2021 - Information Age - January 31st, 2021
- SaaS Data Ownership: The Key to Data Protection and More Impactful Machine Intelligence - insideBIGDATA - January 31st, 2021
- New Canaan native speaks on Machine Learning Revolution - New Canaan Advertiser - January 31st, 2021