Artificial intelligence has been a hot technology area in recent years and machine learning, a subset of AI, is one of the most important segments of the whole AI arena.
Machine learning is the development of intelligent algorithms and statistical models that improve software through experience without the need to explicitly code those improvements. A predictive analysis application, for example, can become more accurate over time through the use of machine learning.
But machine learning has its challenges. Developing machine-learning models and systems requires a confluence of data science, data engineering and development skills. Obtaining and managing the data needed to develop and train machine-learning models is a significant task. And implementing machine-learning technology within real-world production systems can be a major hurdle.
Heres a look at a dozen startup companies, some that have been around for a few years and some just getting off the ground, that are addressing the challenges associated with machine learning.
Top Executive: Daeil Kim, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: New York
AI.Reverie develops AI and machine -earning technology for data generation, data labeling and data enhancement tasks for the advancement of computer vision. The companys simulation platform is used to help acquire, curate and annotate the large amounts of data needed to train computer vision algorithms and improve AI applications.
In October AI.Reverie was named a Gartner Cool Vendor in AI core technologies.
Top Executive: David Drai, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: Redwood City, Calif.
Anodots Deep 360 autonomous business monitoring platform uses machine learning to continuously monitor business metrics, detect significant anomalies and help forecast business performance.
Anodots algorithms have a contextual understanding of business metrics, providing real-time alerts that help users cut incident costs by as much as 80 percent.
Anodot has been granted patents for technology and algorithms in such areas as anomaly score, seasonality and correlation. Earlier this year the company raised $35 million in Series C funding, bringing its total funding to $62.5 million.
Top Executive: Francisco Martin, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: Corvallis, Ore.
BigML offers a comprehensive, managed machine-learning platform for easily building and sharing datasets and data models, and making highly automated, data-driven decisions. The companys programmable, scalable machine -earning platform automates classification, regression, time series forecasting, cluster analysis, anomaly detection, association discovery and topic modeling tasks.
The BigML Preferred Partner Program supports referral partners and partners that sell BigML and oversee implementation projects. Partner A1 Digital, for example, has developed a retail application on the BigML platform that helps retailers predict sales cannibalizationwhen promotions or other marketing activity for one product can lead to reduced demand for other products.
Top Executive: Matt Provo, Founder, CEO
Headquarters: Cambridge, Mass.
StormForge provides machine learning-based, cloud-native application testing and performance optimization software that helps organizations optimize application performance in Kubernetes.
StormForge was founded under the name Carbon Relay and developed its Red Sky Ops tools that DevOps teams use to manage a large variety of application configurations in Kubernetes, automatically tuning them for optimized performance no matter what IT environment theyre operating in.
This week the company acquired German company Stormforger and its performance testing-as-a-platform technology. The company has rebranded as StormForge and renamed its integrated product the StormForge Platform, a comprehensive system for DevOps and IT professionals that can proactively and automatically test, analyze, configure, optimize and release containerized applications.
In February the company said that it had raised $63 million in a funding round from Insight Partners.
Top Executive: Gideon Mendels, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: New York
Comet.ML provides a cloud-hosted machine-learning platform for building reliable machine-learning models that help data scientists and AI teams track datasets, code changes, experimentation history and production models.
Launched in 2017, Comet.ML has raised $6.8 million in venture financing, including $4.5 million in April 2020.
Top Executive: Florian Douetteau, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: New York
Dataikus goal with its Dataiku DSS (Data Science Studio) platform is to move AI and machine-learning use beyond lab experiments into widespread use within data-driven businesses. Dataiku DSS is used by data analysts and data scientists for a range of machine-learning, data science and data analysis tasks.
In August Dataiku raised an impressive $100 million in a Series D round of funding, bringing its total financing to $247 million.
Dataikus partner ecosystem includes analytics consultants, service partners, technology partners and VARs.
Top Executive: Ryohei Fujimaki, Founder, CEO
Headquarters: San Mateo, Calif.
DotData says its DotData Enterprise machine-learning and data science platform is capable of reducing AI and business intelligence development projects from months to days. The companys goal is to make data science processes simple enough that almost anyone, not just data scientists, can benefit from them.
The DotData platform is based on the companys AutoML 2.0 engine that performs full-cycle automation of machine-learning and data science tasks. In July the company debuted DotData Stream, a containerized AI/ML model that enables real-time predictive capabilities.
Top Executive: Ashutosh Garg, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: Mountain View, Calif.
Eightfold.AI develops the Talent Intelligence Platform, a human resource management system that utilizes AI deep learning and machine-learning technology for talent acquisition, management, development, experience and diversity. The Eightfold system, for example, uses AI and ML to better match candidate skills with job requirements and improves employee diversity by reducing unconscious bias.
In late October Eightfold.AI announced a $125 million Series round of financing, putting the startups value at more than $1 billion.
Top Executive: Sri Ambati, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: Mountain View, Calif.
H2O.ai wants to democratize the use of artificial intelligence for a wide range of users.
The companys H2O open-source AI and machine-learning platform, H2O AI Driverless automatic machine-learning software, H20 MLOps and other tools are used to deploy AI-based applications in financial services, insurance, health care, telecommunications, retail, pharmaceutical and digital marketing.
H2O.ai recently teamed up with data science platform developer KNIME to integrate Driverless AI for AutoMl with KNIME Server for workflow management across the entire data science life cyclefrom data access to optimization and deployment.
Top Executive: Asaf Somekh, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: New York
The Iguazio Data Science Platform for real-time machine learning applications automates and accelerates machine-learning workflow pipelines, helping businesses develop, deploy and manage AI applications at scale that improve business outcomeswhat the company calls MLOps.
In early 2020 Iguazio raised $24 million in new financing, bringing its total funding to $72 million.
Top Executive: Luis Ceze, Co-Founder, CEO
OctoMLs Software-as-a-Service Octomizer makes it easier for businesses and organizations to put deep learning models into production more quickly on different CPU and GPU hardware, including at the edge and in the cloud.
OctoML was founded by the team that developed the Apache TVM machine-learning compiler stack project at the University of Washingtons Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering. OctoMLs Octomizer is based on the TVM stack.
Top Executive: Mike Del Balso, Co-Founder, CEO
Headquarters: San Francisco
Tecton just emerged from stealth in April 2020 with its data platform for machine learning that enables data scientists to turn raw data into production-ready machine-learning features. The startups technology is designed to help businesses and organizations harness and refine vast amounts of data into the predictive signals that feed machine-learning models.
The companys three founders: CEO Mike Del Balso, CTO Kevin Stumpf and Engineering Vice President Jeremy Hermann previously worked together at Uber where they developed the companys Michaelangelo machine-learning platform the ride-sharing company used to scale its operations to thousands of production models serving millions of transactions per second, according to Tecton.
The company started with $25 million in seed and Series A funding co-led by Andreessen Horowitz and Sequoia.
- Boosting Weather Prediction with Machine Learning - Eos - November 28th, 2020
- Machine learning - it's all about the data - KHL Group - November 28th, 2020
- Need a Hypothesis? This A.I. Has One - The New York Times - November 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Together To Reach the Culmination of Growth By 2023 - thepolicytimes.com - November 28th, 2020
- Metal Geochemistry Meets Machine Learning in the North Atlantic - Hydro International - November 28th, 2020
- Machine Learning-Based Risk Assessment for Cancer Therapy-Related Cardiac Dysfunction in 4300 Longitudinal Oncology Patients - DocWire News - November 28th, 2020
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Computer Vision and Machine Learning job with DURHAM UNIVERSITY | 235683 - Times Higher Education (THE) - November 28th, 2020
- Utilizing machine learning to uncover the right content at KMWorld Connect 2020 - KMWorld Magazine - November 19th, 2020
- The way we train AI is fundamentally flawed - MIT Technology Review - November 19th, 2020
- DIY Camera Uses Machine Learning to Audibly Tell You What it Sees - PetaPixel - November 19th, 2020
- Machine Learning Predicts How Cancer Patients Will Respond to Therapy - HealthITAnalytics.com - November 19th, 2020
- This New Machine Learning Tool Might Stop Misinformation - Digital Information World - November 19th, 2020
- Fujitsu, AIST and RIKEN Achieve Unparalleled Speed on MLPerf HPC Machine Learning Processing Benchmark - HPCwire - November 19th, 2020
- SVG Tech Insight: Increasing Value of Sports Content Machine Learning for Up-Conversion HD to UHD - Sports Video Group - November 19th, 2020
- SiMa.ai Adopts Arm Technology to Deliver a Purpose-built Heterogeneous Machine Learning Compute Platform for the Embedded Edge - Design and Reuse - November 19th, 2020
- Machine learning removes bias from algorithms and the hiring process - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2020
- Using machine learning to track the pandemic's impact on mental health - MIT News - November 6th, 2020
- AI Recognizes COVID-19 in the Sound of a Cough Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - November 6th, 2020
- The consistency of machine learning and statistical models in predicting clinical risks of individual patients - The BMJ - The BMJ - November 6th, 2020
- PathAI and Gilead Report Data from Machine Learning Model Predictions of Liver Disease Progression and Treatment Response at AASLD's The Liver Meeting... - November 6th, 2020
- Google Introduces New Analytics with Machine Learning and Predictive Models - IBL News - November 6th, 2020
- Free Webinar | Machine Learning and Data Analytics in the Pandemic Era - MIT Sloan - November 6th, 2020
- Global Predictive Analytics Market (2020 to 2025) - Advent of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2020
- Machine learning and predictive analytics work better together - TechTarget - October 31st, 2020
- Microsoft Introduces Lobe: A Free Machine Learning Application That Allows You To Create AI Models Without Coding - MarkTechPost - October 31st, 2020
- Amwell CMO: Google partnership will focus on AI, machine learning to expand into new markets - FierceHealthcare - October 31st, 2020
- Microsoft/MITRE group declares war on machine learning vulnerabilities with Adversarial ML Threat Matrix - Diginomica - October 31st, 2020
- 93% of security operations centers employing AI and machine learning tools to detect advanced threats - Security Magazine - October 31st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Insurance Market(COVID-19 Analysis): Indoor Applications Projected to be the Most Attractive Segment during 2020-2027 - Global... - October 31st, 2020
- Leveraging Machine Learning and IDP to Scale Your Automation Program - AiiA - October 31st, 2020
- 5 machine learning skills you need in the cloud - TechTarget - October 31st, 2020
- Machine learning approach could detect drivers of atrial fibrillation - Cardiac Rhythm News - October 31st, 2020
- Vanderbilt trans-institutional team shows how next-gen wearable sensor algorithms powered by machine learning could be key to preventing injuries that... - October 31st, 2020
- Machine Learning & Big Data Analytics Education Market Size And Forecast (2020-2026)| With Post Impact Of Covid-19 By Top Leading Players-... - October 31st, 2020
- The security threat of adversarial machine learning is real - TechTalks - October 31st, 2020
- Bridging the Skills Gap for AI and Machine Learning - Integration Developers - October 23rd, 2020
- Nudges and machine learning triples advanced care conversations - Penn Today - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine Learning and AI Can Now Create Plastics That Easily Degrade - Science Times - October 23rd, 2020
- insitro Strengthens Machine Learning-Based Drug Discovery Capabilities with Acquisition of Haystack Sciences - Business Wire - October 23rd, 2020
- Revolutionizing IoT with Machine Learning at the Edge | Perceive's Steve Teig - IoT For All - October 23rd, 2020
- Mastercard Says its AI and Machine Learning Solutions Aim to Stop Fraudulent Activites which have Increased Significantly due to COVID - Crowdfund... - October 23rd, 2020
- Abstract Perspective: Long-term PM2.5 Exposure and the Clinical Application of Machine Learning for Predicting Incident Atrial Fibrillation - DocWire... - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine-Learning Inference Chip Travels to the Edge - Electronic Design - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine Learning Data Catalog Software Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors IBM, Alation,... - October 23rd, 2020
- AI and machine learning: a gift, and a curse, for cybersecurity - Healthcare IT News - October 21st, 2020
- Teaming Up with Arm, NXP Ups Its Place in the Machine Learning Industry - News - All About Circuits - October 21st, 2020
- Machine Learning Capabilities Come to the Majority of Open Source Databases with MindsDB AI-Tables - PR Web - October 21st, 2020
- Soleadify secures seed funding for database that uses machine learning to track 40M businesses - TechCrunch - October 21st, 2020
- NXP Announces Expansion of its Scalable Machine Learning Portfolio and Capabilities - GlobeNewswire - October 21st, 2020
- NXP Invests in Au-Zone to Enhance Machine Learning Capabilities - Mobile ID World - October 21st, 2020
- Factories of The Future Are Using Machine Learning Analytics to Optimize Assets - Embedded Computing Design - October 21st, 2020
- Lantronix Brings Advanced AI and Machine Learning to Smart Cameras With New Open-Q 610 SOM Based on the Powerful Qualcomm QCS610 System on Chip (SOC)... - October 21st, 2020
- EMA Webinar to Uncover How Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics Can Improve Workload Automation Outcomes - PR Web - October 21st, 2020
- How To Choose The Best Machine Learning Algorithm For A Particular Problem? - Analytics India Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Technologies Expected to Play a Key Role in Expanding Multi Billion Dollar Digital Banking Sector: Report - Crowdfund Insider - October 21st, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Amazon AI executive explains three things every business needs to address before using machine lear - Business Insider India - October 21st, 2020
- Photoshops AI neural filters can tweak age and expression with a few clicks - The Verge - October 21st, 2020
- Futurism Reinforces Its Next-Gen Business Commerce Platform With Advanced Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2020
- Purebase Enhances Its Board of Advisors with An Expert on Machine Learning and Cheminformatics - GlobeNewswire - October 15th, 2020
- How to Beat Analysts and the Stock Market with Machine Learning - Knowledge@Wharton - October 15th, 2020
- Synopsys and SiMa.ai Collaborate to Bring Machine Learning Inference at Scale to the Embedded Edge - AiThority - October 15th, 2020
- Robotic Interviews, Machine Learning And the Future Of Workforce Recruitment - Entrepreneur - October 15th, 2020
- Top 8 Books on Machine Learning In Cybersecurity One Must Read - Analytics India Magazine - October 15th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Can Help Fintechs if We Focus on Practical Implementation and Move Away from Overhyped Narratives, Researcher Says - Crowdfund... - October 15th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Can Help FIs Avoid Riskbut They Have Risk of Their Own - PR Web - October 15th, 2020
- Machine learning for rowdy roadies: Cops and tech to rein in traffic offenders - Bangalore Mirror - October 15th, 2020
- Automated ATOs and cybersecurity - FCW.com - October 15th, 2020
- Experian partners with Standard Chartered to drive Financial Inclusion with Machine Learning, powering the next generation of Decisioning - Yahoo... - October 15th, 2020
- Machine Learning Answers: Facebook Stock Is Down 20% In A Month, What Are The Chances It'll Rebound? - Trefis - September 22nd, 2020
- Machine Learning in Education Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Proximity matters: Using machine learning and geospatial analytics to reduce COVID-19 exposure risk - Healthcare IT News - September 22nd, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Market Tends To Show Steady Growth Post Pandemic With Regional Overview and Top Key Players - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- PREDICTING THE OPTIMUM PATH - Port Strategy - September 22nd, 2020
- AI/ML Remains The Most In-Demand Tech Skill Post COVID - Analytics India Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Panalgo Brings the Power of Machine-Learning to the Healthcare Industry Via Its IHD Software - AiThority - September 15th, 2020
- Microchip Partners with Machine-Learning (ML) Software Leaders to Simplify AI-at-the-Edge Design Using its 32-Bit Microcontrollers (MCUs) - EE Journal - September 15th, 2020
- What is 'custom machine learning' and why is it important for programmatic optimisation? - The Drum - September 15th, 2020
- PODCAST: NVIDIA's Director of Data Science Talks Machine Learning for Airlines and Aerospace - Aviation Today - September 15th, 2020
- The Use of Machine Learning to Forecast Progression to Advanced AMD - DocWire News - September 15th, 2020
- How Can Machine Learning Help the Teaching Profession? - FE News - September 15th, 2020