Some people have spent their quarantine downtime bakingsourdough bread. Others experiment with tie-dye. But others namely Toronto-based artist Daniel Voshart have createdpainstaking portraits of all 54 Roman emperors of the Principate period, which spanned from 27 BC to 285 AD.
The portraits help people visualize what the Roman emperors would have looked like when they were alive.
Included are Vosharts best artistic guesses of the faces of emperors Augustus, Nero, Caligula, Marcus Aurelius and Claudius, among others. They dont look particularly heroic or epic rather, they look like regular people, with craggy foreheads, receding hairlines and bags under their eyes.
To make the portraits, Voshart used a design software called Artbreeder, which relies on a kind of artificial intelligence called generative adversarial networks (GANs).
Voshart starts by feeding the GANs hundreds of images of the emperors collected from ancient sculpted busts, coins and statues. Then he gets a composite image, which he tweaks in Photoshop. To choose characteristics such as hair color and eye color, Voshart researches the emperors backgrounds and lineages.
It was a bit of a challenge, he says. About a quarter of the project was doing research, trying to figure out if theres something written about their appearance.
He also needed to find good images to feed the GANs.
Another quarter of the research was finding the bust, finding when it was carved because a lot of these busts are recarvings or carved hundreds of years later, he says.
In a statement posted on Medium, Voshartwrites: My goal was not to romanticize emperors or make them seem heroic. In choosing bust/sculptures, my approach was to favor the bust that was made when the emperor was alive. Otherwise, I favored the bust made with the greatest craftsmanship and where the emperor was stereotypically uglier my pet theory being that artists were likely trying to flatter their subjects.
Related:Battle of the bums: Museums complete over best artistic behinds
Voshart is not a Rome expert. His background is in architecture and design, and by day he works in the art department of the TV show "Star Trek: Discovery," where he designs virtual reality walkthroughs of the sets before they'rebuilt.
But when the coronavirus pandemic hit, Voshart was furloughed. He used the extra time on his hands to learn how to use the Artbreeder software.The idea for the Roman emperor project came from a Reddit threadwhere people were posting realistic-looking images theyd created on Artbreeder using photos of Roman busts. Voshart gave it a try and went into exacting detail with his research and design process, doing multiple iterations of the images.
Voshart says he made some mistakes along the way. For example, Voshart initially based his portrait of Caligula, a notoriously sadistic emperor, on a beautifully preserved bust in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. But the bust was too perfect-looking, Voshart says.
Multiple people told me he was disfigured, and another bust was more accurate, he says.
So, for the second iteration of the portrait, Voshart favored a different bust where one eye was lower than the other.
People have been telling me my first depiction of Caligula was hot, he says. Now, no ones telling me that.
Voshart says people who see his portraits on Twitter and Reddit often approach them like theyd approachTinder profiles.
I get maybe a few too many comments, like such-and-such is hot. But a lot of these emperors are such awful people!
I get maybe a few too many comments, like such-and-such is hot. But a lot of these emperors are such awful people! Voshart says.
Voshart keeps a list on his computer of all the funny comparisons people have made to present-day celebrities and public figures.
Ive heard Nero looks like a football player. Augustus looks like Daniel Craigmy early depiction of Marcus Aurelius looks like the Dude from 'The Big Lebowski.'
But the No. 1 comment? Augustus looks like Putin.
Related:UNESCO says scammers are using its logo to defraudartcollectors
No one knows for sure whether Augustus actually looked like Vladimir Putin in real life.Voshart says his portraits are speculative.
Its definitely an artistic interpretation, he says. Im sure if you time-traveled, youd be very angry at me."
- AI and Machine Learning are Expected to Improve Fintech Apps in India, with Support from Regulators - Crowdfund Insider - January 2nd, 2021
- Four Benefits Of Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning In Banking - CIO Applications - January 2nd, 2021
- Machine Learning for Child and Adolescent Health: A Systematic Review - American Academy of Pediatrics - January 2nd, 2021
- What the hell is an AI factory? - The Next Web - January 2nd, 2021
- 2020: A Year Full of Amazing AI papers- A Review Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - January 2nd, 2021
- Ninjacart makes investment in machine learning to improve operations - InfotechLead.com - January 2nd, 2021
- Machine Learning As A Service Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - January 2nd, 2021
- Machine Learning Software Market Trends Forecast Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - LionLowdown - January 2nd, 2021
- New Study Report on Global Machine Learning in Medicine Market by Forecast to 2025 | Epic Systems, Cerner Corporation, McKesson, Allscripts and many... - January 2nd, 2021
- Machine Learning Market Size, Share, Analysis, Demand, Applications, Sale, Growth Insight, Trends, Leaders, Services and Forecast to 2025 -... - January 2nd, 2021
- How machines are changing the way companies talk - VentureBeat - January 2nd, 2021
- Boosting Weather Prediction with Machine Learning - Eos - November 28th, 2020
- Machine learning - it's all about the data - KHL Group - November 28th, 2020
- Need a Hypothesis? This A.I. Has One - The New York Times - November 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Together To Reach the Culmination of Growth By 2023 - thepolicytimes.com - November 28th, 2020
- Metal Geochemistry Meets Machine Learning in the North Atlantic - Hydro International - November 28th, 2020
- Machine Learning-Based Risk Assessment for Cancer Therapy-Related Cardiac Dysfunction in 4300 Longitudinal Oncology Patients - DocWire News - November 28th, 2020
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Computer Vision and Machine Learning job with DURHAM UNIVERSITY | 235683 - Times Higher Education (THE) - November 28th, 2020
- The 12 Coolest Machine-Learning Startups Of 2020 - CRN - November 19th, 2020
- Utilizing machine learning to uncover the right content at KMWorld Connect 2020 - KMWorld Magazine - November 19th, 2020
- The way we train AI is fundamentally flawed - MIT Technology Review - November 19th, 2020
- DIY Camera Uses Machine Learning to Audibly Tell You What it Sees - PetaPixel - November 19th, 2020
- Machine Learning Predicts How Cancer Patients Will Respond to Therapy - HealthITAnalytics.com - November 19th, 2020
- This New Machine Learning Tool Might Stop Misinformation - Digital Information World - November 19th, 2020
- Fujitsu, AIST and RIKEN Achieve Unparalleled Speed on MLPerf HPC Machine Learning Processing Benchmark - HPCwire - November 19th, 2020
- SVG Tech Insight: Increasing Value of Sports Content Machine Learning for Up-Conversion HD to UHD - Sports Video Group - November 19th, 2020
- SiMa.ai Adopts Arm Technology to Deliver a Purpose-built Heterogeneous Machine Learning Compute Platform for the Embedded Edge - Design and Reuse - November 19th, 2020
- Machine learning removes bias from algorithms and the hiring process - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2020
- Using machine learning to track the pandemic's impact on mental health - MIT News - November 6th, 2020
- AI Recognizes COVID-19 in the Sound of a Cough Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - November 6th, 2020
- The consistency of machine learning and statistical models in predicting clinical risks of individual patients - The BMJ - The BMJ - November 6th, 2020
- PathAI and Gilead Report Data from Machine Learning Model Predictions of Liver Disease Progression and Treatment Response at AASLD's The Liver Meeting... - November 6th, 2020
- Google Introduces New Analytics with Machine Learning and Predictive Models - IBL News - November 6th, 2020
- Free Webinar | Machine Learning and Data Analytics in the Pandemic Era - MIT Sloan - November 6th, 2020
- Global Predictive Analytics Market (2020 to 2025) - Advent of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2020
- Machine learning and predictive analytics work better together - TechTarget - October 31st, 2020
- Microsoft Introduces Lobe: A Free Machine Learning Application That Allows You To Create AI Models Without Coding - MarkTechPost - October 31st, 2020
- Amwell CMO: Google partnership will focus on AI, machine learning to expand into new markets - FierceHealthcare - October 31st, 2020
- Microsoft/MITRE group declares war on machine learning vulnerabilities with Adversarial ML Threat Matrix - Diginomica - October 31st, 2020
- 93% of security operations centers employing AI and machine learning tools to detect advanced threats - Security Magazine - October 31st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Insurance Market(COVID-19 Analysis): Indoor Applications Projected to be the Most Attractive Segment during 2020-2027 - Global... - October 31st, 2020
- Leveraging Machine Learning and IDP to Scale Your Automation Program - AiiA - October 31st, 2020
- 5 machine learning skills you need in the cloud - TechTarget - October 31st, 2020
- Machine learning approach could detect drivers of atrial fibrillation - Cardiac Rhythm News - October 31st, 2020
- Vanderbilt trans-institutional team shows how next-gen wearable sensor algorithms powered by machine learning could be key to preventing injuries that... - October 31st, 2020
- Machine Learning & Big Data Analytics Education Market Size And Forecast (2020-2026)| With Post Impact Of Covid-19 By Top Leading Players-... - October 31st, 2020
- The security threat of adversarial machine learning is real - TechTalks - October 31st, 2020
- Bridging the Skills Gap for AI and Machine Learning - Integration Developers - October 23rd, 2020
- Nudges and machine learning triples advanced care conversations - Penn Today - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine Learning and AI Can Now Create Plastics That Easily Degrade - Science Times - October 23rd, 2020
- insitro Strengthens Machine Learning-Based Drug Discovery Capabilities with Acquisition of Haystack Sciences - Business Wire - October 23rd, 2020
- Revolutionizing IoT with Machine Learning at the Edge | Perceive's Steve Teig - IoT For All - October 23rd, 2020
- Mastercard Says its AI and Machine Learning Solutions Aim to Stop Fraudulent Activites which have Increased Significantly due to COVID - Crowdfund... - October 23rd, 2020
- Abstract Perspective: Long-term PM2.5 Exposure and the Clinical Application of Machine Learning for Predicting Incident Atrial Fibrillation - DocWire... - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine-Learning Inference Chip Travels to the Edge - Electronic Design - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine Learning Data Catalog Software Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors IBM, Alation,... - October 23rd, 2020
- AI and machine learning: a gift, and a curse, for cybersecurity - Healthcare IT News - October 21st, 2020
- Teaming Up with Arm, NXP Ups Its Place in the Machine Learning Industry - News - All About Circuits - October 21st, 2020
- Machine Learning Capabilities Come to the Majority of Open Source Databases with MindsDB AI-Tables - PR Web - October 21st, 2020
- Soleadify secures seed funding for database that uses machine learning to track 40M businesses - TechCrunch - October 21st, 2020
- NXP Announces Expansion of its Scalable Machine Learning Portfolio and Capabilities - GlobeNewswire - October 21st, 2020
- NXP Invests in Au-Zone to Enhance Machine Learning Capabilities - Mobile ID World - October 21st, 2020
- Factories of The Future Are Using Machine Learning Analytics to Optimize Assets - Embedded Computing Design - October 21st, 2020
- Lantronix Brings Advanced AI and Machine Learning to Smart Cameras With New Open-Q 610 SOM Based on the Powerful Qualcomm QCS610 System on Chip (SOC)... - October 21st, 2020
- EMA Webinar to Uncover How Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics Can Improve Workload Automation Outcomes - PR Web - October 21st, 2020
- How To Choose The Best Machine Learning Algorithm For A Particular Problem? - Analytics India Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Technologies Expected to Play a Key Role in Expanding Multi Billion Dollar Digital Banking Sector: Report - Crowdfund Insider - October 21st, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Amazon AI executive explains three things every business needs to address before using machine lear - Business Insider India - October 21st, 2020
- Photoshops AI neural filters can tweak age and expression with a few clicks - The Verge - October 21st, 2020
- Futurism Reinforces Its Next-Gen Business Commerce Platform With Advanced Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2020
- Purebase Enhances Its Board of Advisors with An Expert on Machine Learning and Cheminformatics - GlobeNewswire - October 15th, 2020
- How to Beat Analysts and the Stock Market with Machine Learning - Knowledge@Wharton - October 15th, 2020
- Synopsys and SiMa.ai Collaborate to Bring Machine Learning Inference at Scale to the Embedded Edge - AiThority - October 15th, 2020
- Robotic Interviews, Machine Learning And the Future Of Workforce Recruitment - Entrepreneur - October 15th, 2020
- Top 8 Books on Machine Learning In Cybersecurity One Must Read - Analytics India Magazine - October 15th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Can Help Fintechs if We Focus on Practical Implementation and Move Away from Overhyped Narratives, Researcher Says - Crowdfund... - October 15th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Can Help FIs Avoid Riskbut They Have Risk of Their Own - PR Web - October 15th, 2020
- Machine learning for rowdy roadies: Cops and tech to rein in traffic offenders - Bangalore Mirror - October 15th, 2020
- Automated ATOs and cybersecurity - FCW.com - October 15th, 2020
- Experian partners with Standard Chartered to drive Financial Inclusion with Machine Learning, powering the next generation of Decisioning - Yahoo... - October 15th, 2020