As the fuel that powers their ongoing digital transformation efforts, businesses everywhere are looking for ways to derive as much insight as possible from their data. The accompanying increased demand for advanced predictive and prescriptive analytics has, in turn, led to a call for more data scientists proficient with the latest artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) tools.
But such highly-skilled data scientists are expensive and in short supply. In fact, theyre such a precious resource that the phenomenon of the citizen data scientist has recently arisen to help close the skills gap. A complementary role, rather than a direct replacement, citizen data scientists lack specific advanced data science expertise. However, they are capable of generating models using state-of-the-art diagnostic and predictive analytics. And this capability is partly due to the advent of accessible new technologies such as automated machine learning (AutoML) that now automate many of the tasks once performed by data scientists.
Algorithms and automation
According to a recent Harvard Business Review article, Organisations have shifted towards amplifying predictive power by coupling big data with complex automated machine learning. AutoML, which uses machine learning to generate better machine learning, is advertised as affording opportunities to democratise machine learning by allowing firms with limited data science expertise to develop analytical pipelines capable of solving sophisticated business problems.
Comprising a set of algorithms that automate the writing of other ML algorithms, AutoML automates the end-to-end process of applying ML to real-world problems. By way of illustration, a standard ML pipeline is made up of the following: data pre-processing, feature extraction, feature selection, feature engineering, algorithm selection, and hyper-parameter tuning. But the considerable expertise and time it takes to implement these steps means theres a high barrier to entry.
AutoML removes some of these constraints. Not only does it significantly reduce the time it would typically take to implement an ML process under human supervision, it can also often improve the accuracy of the model in comparison to hand-crafted models, trained and deployed by humans. In doing so, it offers organisations a gateway into ML, as well as freeing up the time of ML engineers and data practitioners, allowing them to focus on higher-order challenges.
Overcoming scalability problems
The trend for combining ML with Big Data for advanced data analytics began back in 2012, when deep learning became the dominant approach to solving ML problems. This approach heralded the generation of a wealth of new software, tooling, and techniques that altered both the workload and the workflow associated with ML on a large scale. Entirely new ML toolsets, such as TensorFlow and PyTorch were created, and people increasingly began to engage more with graphics processing units (GPUs) to accelerate their work.
Until this point, companies efforts had been hindered by the scalability problems associated with running ML algorithms on huge datasets. Now, though, they were able to overcome these issues. By quickly developing sophisticated internal tooling capable of building world-class AI applications, the BigTech powerhouses soon overtook their Fortune 500 peers when it came to realising the benefits of smarter data-driven decision-making and applications.
Insight, innovation and data-driven decisions
AutoML represents the next stage in MLs evolution, promising to help non-tech companies access the capabilities they need to quickly and cheaply build ML applications.
In 2018, for example, Google launched its Cloud AutoML. Based on Neural Architecture Search (NAS) and transfer learning, it was described by Google executives as having the potential to make AI experts even more productive, advance new fields in AI, and help less-skilled engineers build powerful AI systems they previously only dreamed of.
The one downside to Googles AutoML is that its a proprietary algorithm. There are, however, a number of alternative open-source AutoML libraries such as AutoKeras, developed by researchers at Texas University and used to power the NAS algorithm.
Technological breakthroughs such as these have given companies the capability to easily build production-ready models without the need for expensive human resources. By leveraging AI, ML, and deep learning capabilities, AutoML gives businesses across all industries the opportunity to benefit from data-driven applications powered by statistical models - even when advanced data science expertise is scarce.
With organisations increasingly reliant on civilian data scientists, 2020 is likely to be the year that enterprise adoption of AutoML will start to become mainstream. Its ease of access will compel business leaders to finally open the black box of ML, thereby elevating their knowledge of its processes and capabilities. AI and ML tools and practices will become ever more ingrained in businesses everyday thinking and operations as they become more empowered to identify those projects whose invaluable insight will drive better decision-making and innovation.
By Senthil Ravindran, EVP and global head of cloud transformation and digital innovation, Virtusa
- Infragistics Adds Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning and More to Reveal Embedded Business Intelligence Tool - GlobeNewswire - April 3rd, 2020
- Google is using machine learning to improve the quality of Duo calls - The Verge - April 3rd, 2020
- Data Science and Machine-Learning Platformss Market Share Opportunities Trends, And Forecasts To 2020-2027 with Key Players: SAS, Alteryx, IBM,... - April 3rd, 2020
- Google TensorFlow Cert Suggests AI, ML Certifications on the Rise - Dice Insights - April 3rd, 2020
- AI cant predict how a childs life will turn out even with a ton of data - MIT Technology Review - April 3rd, 2020
- Machine Learning in Life Sciences Market Report History and Forecast 2020 Breakdown Data by Manufacturers, by Key Regions, Types and Applications -... - April 3rd, 2020
- The Global Machine Learning Market is expected to grow by USD 11.16 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 39% during the forecast period -... - April 3rd, 2020
- Well-Completion System Supported by Machine Learning Maximizes Asset Value - Journal of Petroleum Technology - April 3rd, 2020
- Weekend Roundup: Anything-Other-Than-COVID-19 Edition (Seriously!) - Dice Insights - April 3rd, 2020
- Intel + Cornell Pioneering Work in the Science of Smell - insideBIGDATA - March 27th, 2020
- Data to the Rescue! Predicting and Preventing Accidents at Sea - JAXenter - March 27th, 2020
- Return On Artificial Intelligence: The Challenge And The Opportunity - Forbes - March 27th, 2020
- Noble.AI Contributes to TensorFlow, Google's Open-Source AI Library and the Most Popular Deep Learning - AiThority - March 27th, 2020
- PSD2: How machine learning reduces friction and satisfies SCA - The Paypers - March 27th, 2020
- Machine learning teams with antibody science on COVID-19 treatment discovery - AI in Healthcare - March 27th, 2020
- Neural networks facilitate optimization in the search for new materials - MIT News - March 27th, 2020
- Natural Language Processing is an Untapped AI Tool for Innovation - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus lockdown: 10 free online computer science courses from Harvard, Princeton & other top universities to study - Gadgets Now - March 27th, 2020
- How AI Can Realize The Promise Of Adaptive Education - Forbes - March 27th, 2020
- Udacity offers free tech training to laid-off workers due to the coronavirus pandemic - CNBC - March 27th, 2020
- Will COVID-19 Create a Big Moment for AI and Machine Learning? - Dice Insights - March 25th, 2020
- How our publisher harnessed machine learning to overhaul Techday websites - CFOtech New Zealand - March 25th, 2020
- dotData Receives APN Machine Learning Competency Partner of the Year Award - WFMZ Allentown - March 25th, 2020
- Machine Learning Engineer Interview Questions: What You Need to Know - Dice Insights - March 25th, 2020
- Put Your Money Where Your Strategy Is: Using Machine Learning to Analyze the Pentagon Budget - War on the Rocks - March 25th, 2020
- 2020 Supply Chain Planning Value Matrix Underscores Benefits of Machine Learning and Customizable Integrations - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- Structure-based AI tool can predict wide range of very different reactions - Chemistry World - March 25th, 2020
- With Launch of COVID-19 Data Hub, The White House Issues A 'Call To Action' For AI Researchers - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data... - March 25th, 2020
- AI Is Changing Work and Leaders Need to Adapt - Harvard Business Review - March 25th, 2020
- Fritz brings on-device AI to Android and iOS - VentureBeat - March 25th, 2020
- So only 12% of supply chain pros are using AI? Apparently. - Supply Chain Dive - March 25th, 2020
- Why AI might be the most effective weapon we have to fight COVID-19 - The Next Web - March 22nd, 2020
- Emerging Trend of Machine Learning in Retail Market 2019 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2024 - Bandera County Courier - March 22nd, 2020
- Keeping Machine Learning Algorithms Humble and Honest in the Ethics-First Era - Datamation - March 22nd, 2020
- FYI: You can trick image-recog AI into, say, mixing up cats and dogs by abusing scaling code to poison training data - The Register - March 21st, 2020
- 3 global manufacturing brands at the forefront of AI and ML - JAXenter - March 20th, 2020
- Startup Spotlight: Forestry Machine Learning wants to help clients use artificial intelligence to improve business - Richmond.com - March 20th, 2020
- Are machine-learning-based automation tools good enough for storage management and other areas of IT? Let us know - The Register - March 20th, 2020
- Proof in the power of data - PES Media - March 20th, 2020
- Innovative AI and Machine-Learning Technology That Detects Emotion Wins Top Award - Express Computer - March 20th, 2020
- Answering the Question Why: Explainable AI - AiThority - March 18th, 2020
- Adaptive Insights CPO on Why Machine Learning Is Disrupting Financial Services - Toolbox - March 18th, 2020
- Insights into the E-Commerce Fraud Detection Solutions Market Overview - Machine Learning Tools Have Significantly Changed the Way Fraud is Detected -... - March 18th, 2020
- Rapid Industrialization to Boost Machine Learning Courses Growth by 2019-2025 - Keep Reading - March 18th, 2020
- Machine Learning in Finance Market Size 2020 Global Industry Share, Top Players, Opportunities And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - March 18th, 2020
- Machine Learning Definition - Investopedia - March 17th, 2020
- Qeexo is making machine learning accessible to all - Stacey on IoT - March 17th, 2020
- With launch of COVID-19 data hub, the White House issues a call to action for AI researchers - TechCrunch - March 17th, 2020
- AI and machine learning algorithms have made aptitude tests more accurate. Here's how - EdexLive - March 17th, 2020
- Hey, Sparky: Confused by data science governance and security in the cloud? Databricks promises to ease machine learning pipelines - The Register - March 17th, 2020
- Using Machine Learning to Improve Management of Atrial Fibrillation - Technology Networks - March 17th, 2020
- The Top Machine Learning WR Prospect Will Surprise You - RotoExperts - March 17th, 2020
- Harnessing the latest machine learning and artificial intelligence technologies to create and improve education and assessment solutions for lifelong... - March 17th, 2020
- Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter warn that AI systems could make mistakes - Vox.com - March 17th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning in Communication Market 2020 Industry Trend and Forecast 2024 - Daily Science - March 17th, 2020
- AI, machine learning to deliver 'wave of discoveries' - The Northern Miner - March 17th, 2020
- Brain Computer Interface: Definitions, Tools and Applications - AiThority - March 17th, 2020
- Researchers combine low-cost tactile sensor with machine learning to develop robots that feel - SlashGear - March 16th, 2020
- AI and machine learning is not the future, it's the present - Eyes on APAC - ComputerWeekly.com - March 16th, 2020
- Alibaba using machine learning to fight coronavirus with AI - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - March 16th, 2020
- ServiceNow pulls on its platforms, talks up machine learning, analytics in biggest release since ex-SAP boss took reins - The Register - March 16th, 2020
- AI in the Translation Industry The 5-10 Year Outlook - AiThority - March 16th, 2020
- 2020-2027 Machine Learning in Healthcare Cybersecurity Industry Trends Survey and Prospects Report - 3rd Watch News - March 16th, 2020
- Owkin and the University of Pittsburgh Launch a Collaboration to Advance Cancer Research With AI and Federated Learning - AiThority - March 16th, 2020
- Next-gen supercomputers are fast-tracking treatments for the coronavirus in a race against time - CNBC - March 16th, 2020
- 4 ways to fine-tune your AI and machine learning deployments - TechRepublic - March 9th, 2020
- Web developers don't need a math degree to get started with ML - JAXenter - March 9th, 2020
- How is AI and machine learning benefiting the healthcare industry? - Health Europa - March 9th, 2020
- What would machine learning look like if you mixed in DevOps? Wonder no more, we lift the lid on MLOps - The Register - March 9th, 2020
- If AI's So Smart, Why Can't It Grasp Cause and Effect? - WIRED - March 9th, 2020
- An implant uses machine learning to give amputees control over prosthetic hands - MIT Technology Review - March 9th, 2020
- Tying everything together Solving a Machine Learning problem in the Cloud (Part 4 of 4) - Microsoft - Channel 9 - March 9th, 2020
- Machine learning and the power of big data can help achieve stronger investment decisions - BNNBloomberg.ca - March 9th, 2020
- Tip: Machine learning solutions for journalists | Tip of the day - Journalism.co.uk - March 9th, 2020
- Improving your Accounts Payable Process with Machine Learning in D365 FO and AX - MSDynamicsWorld.com - March 9th, 2020
- XMOS Appoints AI Professor and Turing Fellow Peter Flach as Special Advisor - Business Wire - March 9th, 2020
- Ads, Tweets And Vlogs: How Censorship Works In The Age Of Algorithms - Analytics India Magazine - March 9th, 2020
- Machine Learning Software Market Increasing Demand with Leading Player, Comprehensive Analysis, Forecast to 2026 - News Times - March 9th, 2020
- 3 important trends in AI/ML you might be missing - VentureBeat - March 9th, 2020
- Is Machine Learning Always The Right Choice? - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive Analytics Times - February 29th, 2020