Swami Sivasubramanian, Vice-President, Amazon Machine Learning, AWS (Amazon Web Services), who leads a global AI/ML team, has built more than 30 AWS services, authored around 40 referred scientific papers and been awarded over 200 patents. He was also one of the primary authors for a paper titled, Dynamo: Amazons Highly Available Key-value Store, along with AWS CTO and VP, Werner Vogels, which received the ACM Hall of Fame award. In a conversation with BusinessLine from Seattle, Swami said people always assume AI and ML are futuristic technologies, but the fact is AI and ML are already here and it is happening all around us.excerpts:
Bengaluru, August 12
The popular use cases for AI/ML are predominantly in logistics, customer experience and e-commerce. What AI/ML use cases are likely to emerge in the post-Covid-19 environment?
We dont have to wait for post-Covid-19, were seeing this right now. Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) are playing a key role in better understanding and addressing the Covid-19 crisis. In the fight against Covid-19, organisations have been quick to apply their machine learning expertise in several areas, including, scaling customer communications, understanding how Covid-19 spreads, and speeding up research and treatment. Were seeing adoption of AI/ML across all industries, verticals and sizes of business. We expect this to not only continue, but accelerate in the future.
Of AWSs 175+ services portfolio, how many are AI/ML services?
We dont break out that number, but what I can tell you is AWS offers the broadest and deepest set of machine learning services and supporting cloud infrastructure putting machine learning in the hands of every developer, data scientist and expert practitioner.
Then why has AWS not featured in Gartners Data Science and ML Platforms Magic Quadrant?
Gartner's inclusion criteria explicitly excluded providers who focus primarily on developers. However, the Cloud AI Developer Services Magic Quadrant does cite us as a leader. Also, the recently released Gartner Solution Scorecard, which evaluated our capabilities in the Data Science and Machine Learning space, scored Amazon SageMaker higher than offerings from the other major providers.
Where is India positioned on the AI/ML adoption curve compared to developed economies?
I think, India is in a really good place. I remember visiting some of our customers and start-ups in India, there is so much innovation happening in India. I happen to believe that transformation comes because at a ground level, developers start adopting technologies and this is one of those things where I think India, especially at a ground level when it comes to the start-up ecosystem, have been jumping into in a big way to adopt machine learning technology.
For example, machine learning is embedded in every aspect of what Freshworks, a B2B unicorn in India, is doing. In fact, they build something like 33,000 models and they are iterating and theyre trying to build ML models, again using some of our technologies like Amazon SageMaker. Theyve cut down from eight weeks to less than one week. redBus, which Im a big fan of as I travel back and forth between Chennai to Bengaluru, is also using some of our ML technologies and their productivity has increased. One of the key things we need to be cognizant of is that machine learning technology is not going to get mainstream adoption if people are just using it for extremely leading-edge use cases. It should be used in everyday use cases. I think even in India now, it is starting to get into mainstream use cases in a big and meaningful way. For instance, Dish TV uses AWS Elemental, our video processing service to process video content and then they feed it into Amazon Rekognition to flag inappropriate content. There are start-ups like CreditVidya, who are building an ML platform on AWS to analyze behavioural data of customers and make better recommendations.
The greater the adoption of AI/ML, the more job losses are likely as organisations fire people to induct skilled talent. Please comment.
One thing is for sure, there is change coming and technology is driving it. Im very optimistic about the future. I remember the days where there used to be manual switching of telephones, but then we moved to automated switching. Its not like those jobs went away. All these people re-educated themselves and they are actually doing more interesting, more challenging jobs. Lifelong education is going to be critical. In Amazon, my team, for instance, runs Machine Learning University. We train our own engineers and Amazon Associates on various opportunities and expose them to leading-edge technology such as machine learning. Now, we are actually making this available for free as part of the AWS Training and Certification programs. In November 2018 we made it free, and within the first 48 hours of us making this free, we had more than one lakh people registered to learn. So, there is a huge appetite for it. In 2012, we decided, every organisation within Amazon had to have a machine learning strategy, even when machine learning was not even actually considered cool. So Jeff and the leadership team said, machine learning is going to be such a pivotal thing for every line of business irrespective of whether they run cloud computing or supply chain or financial technology data, and we required every business group in their yearly planning, to include how they were going to leverage machine learning in their business. And no, we do not plan to was not considered an acceptable answer.
What AI/ML tools do AWS offer, and for whom?
The vast majority of ML being done in the cloud today is on AWS. With an extensive portfolio of services at all three layers of the technology stack, more customers reference using AWS for machine learning than any other provider. AWS released more than 250 machine learning features and capabilities in 2019, with tens of thousands of customers using the services, spurred by the broad adoption of Amazon SageMaker since AWS re:Invent 2017. Our customers include, American Heart Association, Cathay Pacific, Dow Jones, Expedia.com, Formula 1, GE Healthcare, UKs National Health Service, NASA JPL, Slack, Tinder, Twilio, United Nations, the World Bank, Ryanair, and Samsung, among others.
Our AI/ML services are meant for: Advanced developers and scientists who are comfortable building, tuning, training, deploying, and managing models themselves, AWS offers P2 and P3 instances at the bottom of the stack which provide up to six times better performance than any other GPU instances available in the cloud today together with AWSs deep learning AMI (Amazon Machine Image) that embeds all the major frameworks. And, unlike other providers who try to funnel everybody into using only one framework, AWS supports all the major frameworks because different frameworks are better for different types of workloads.
At the middle layer of the stack, organisations that want to use machine learning in an expansive way can leverage Amazon SageMaker, a fully managed service that removes the heavy lifting, complexity, and guesswork from each step of the ML process, empowering everyday developers and scientists to successfully use ML. SageMaker is a sea-level change for everyday developers being able to access and build machine learning models. Its kind of incredible, in just a few months, how many thousands of developers started building machine learning models on top of AWS with SageMaker.
At the top layer of the stack, AWS provides solutions, such as Amazon Rekognition for deep-learning-based video and image analysis, Amazon Polly for translating text to speech, Amazon Lex for building conversations, Amazon Transcribe for converting speech to text, Amazon Translate for translating text between languages, and Amazon Comprehend for understanding relationships and finding insights within text. Along with this broad range of services and devices, customers are working alongside Amazons expert data scientists in the Amazon Machine Learning Solutions Lab to implement real-life use cases. We have a pretty giant investment in all layers of the machine learning stack and we believe that most companies, over time, will use multiple layers of that stack and have applications that are infused with ML.
Why would customers opt for AWSs AI/ML services versus competitor offerings from Microsoft, Google?
At Amazon, we always approach everything we do by focusing on our customers. We have thousands of engineers at Amazon committed to ML and deep learning, and its a big part of our heritage. Within AWS, weve been focused on bringing that knowledge and capability to our customers by putting ML into the hands of every developer and data scientist. But we do take a different approach to ML than others may we know that the only constant within the history of ML is change. Thats why we will always provide a great solution for all the frameworks and choices that people want to make by providing all of the major solutions so that developers have the right tool for the right job. And our customers are responding! Today, the vast majority of ML and deep learning in the cloud is running on AWS, with meaningfully more customer references for machine learning than any other provider. In fact, 85 per cent of TensorFlow being run in the cloud, is run on AWS.
- Machine Learning Answers: Facebook Stock Is Down 20% In A Month, What Are The Chances It'll Rebound? - Trefis - September 22nd, 2020
- Machine Learning in Education Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Proximity matters: Using machine learning and geospatial analytics to reduce COVID-19 exposure risk - Healthcare IT News - September 22nd, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Market Tends To Show Steady Growth Post Pandemic With Regional Overview and Top Key Players - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- PREDICTING THE OPTIMUM PATH - Port Strategy - September 22nd, 2020
- AI/ML Remains The Most In-Demand Tech Skill Post COVID - Analytics India Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Panalgo Brings the Power of Machine-Learning to the Healthcare Industry Via Its IHD Software - AiThority - September 15th, 2020
- Microchip Partners with Machine-Learning (ML) Software Leaders to Simplify AI-at-the-Edge Design Using its 32-Bit Microcontrollers (MCUs) - EE Journal - September 15th, 2020
- What is 'custom machine learning' and why is it important for programmatic optimisation? - The Drum - September 15th, 2020
- PODCAST: NVIDIA's Director of Data Science Talks Machine Learning for Airlines and Aerospace - Aviation Today - September 15th, 2020
- The Use of Machine Learning to Forecast Progression to Advanced AMD - DocWire News - September 15th, 2020
- How Can Machine Learning Help the Teaching Profession? - FE News - September 15th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning in Automobile Market: Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2024 - The Market Correspondent - September 15th, 2020
- Using machine learning to organize the chemical diversity - Tech Explorist - September 15th, 2020
- Dashboard AI Announces Its Technology Vision for the Foodservice and Hospitality Industry - PRNewswire - September 15th, 2020
- Alfa Releases Second Paper on AI, Using Machine Learning in the Wild - Monitor Daily - September 10th, 2020
- Combatting COVID-19 misinformation with machine learning (VB Live) - VentureBeat - September 10th, 2020
- This artist used machine learning to create realistic portraits of Roman emperors - The World - September 10th, 2020
- Domino Data Lab Named a Leader in Notebook-Based Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning Evaluation by Global Research Firm - Business Wire - September 10th, 2020
- Demonstration Of What-If Tool For Machine Learning Model Investigation - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- RXA to Participate in 2nd Annual A2.AI Conference focused on Machine Learning & Applied AI - PR Web - September 10th, 2020
- 50 Data Science and Analysts Jobs That Opened Just Last Week - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- FSS Launches Next Gen Recon with Machine Learning and Cloud Support - TechGenyz - September 10th, 2020
- Getting to the heart of machine learning and complex humans - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Courses Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 - The Scarlet - August 28th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Network Fetch.ai Partners Open-Source Blockchain Protocol Waves to Conduct R&D on DLT - Crowdfund Insider - August 28th, 2020
- UT Austin Selected as Home of National AI Institute Focused on Machine Learning - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - August 26th, 2020
- Participation-washing could be the next dangerous fad in machine learning - MIT Technology Review - August 26th, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the... - Insurance CIO Outlook - August 26th, 2020
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2020-2027 -... - August 26th, 2020
- Air Force Taps Machine Learning to Speed Up Flight Certifications - Nextgov - August 26th, 2020
- What is AutoML and Why Should Your Business Consider It - BizTech Magazine - August 26th, 2020
- Chatbots Are Machine Learning Their Way To Human Language - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- Explainable AI: From the peak of inflated expectations to the pitfalls of interpreting machine learning models - ZDNet - August 26th, 2020
- Focusing on ethical AI in business and government - FierceElectronics - August 26th, 2020
- Amazon's Machine Learning University To Make Its Online Courses Available To The Public - Analytics India Magazine - August 14th, 2020
- Watch 3 Videos from Coursera's New "Machine Learning for Everyone" - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The... - August 14th, 2020
- PhD Research Fellowship in Machine Learning for Cognitive Power Management job with NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU | 219138 -... - August 14th, 2020
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Anyscale Hosts Inaugural Ray Summit on Scalable Python and Scalable Machine Learning - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2020
- Why GPT-3 Heralds a Democratic Revolution in Tech - Built In - August 14th, 2020
- BMW, Red Hat, and Malong Share Insights on AI and Machine Learning During Transform 2020 - ENGINEERING.com - August 14th, 2020
- Algorithm created by deep learning finds potential therapeutic targets throughout the human genome - National Science Foundation - August 14th, 2020
- Ensighten Launches Client-Side Threat Intelligence Initiative and Invests in Machine Learning - WFMZ Allentown - August 6th, 2020
- Hey software developers, youre approaching machine learning the wrong way - The Next Web - August 6th, 2020
- Introducing The AI & Machine Learning Imperative - MIT Sloan - August 6th, 2020
- Who Does the Machine Learning and Data Science Work? - Customer Think - August 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Path to Intelligent Automation - Embedded Computing Design - August 6th, 2020
- Blacklight Solutions Unveils Software to Simplify Business Analytics with AI and Machine Learning - PRNewswire - August 6th, 2020
- AI is learning when it should and shouldnt defer to a human - MIT Technology Review - August 6th, 2020
- Moderna Announced Partnership With Amazon Web Services for Their Analytics and Machine Learning Services - Science Times - August 6th, 2020
- Surprisingly Recent Galaxy Discovered Using Machine Learning May Be the Last Generation Galaxy in the Long Cosmic History - SciTechDaily - August 6th, 2020
- STMicroelectronics Releases STM32 Condition-Monitoring Function Pack Leveraging Tools from Cartesiam for Simplified Machine Learning - ELE Times - August 6th, 2020
- Machine Learning Reveals What Makes People Happy In A Relationship - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- Benefits Of AI And Machine Learning | Expert Panel | Security News - SecurityInformed - August 4th, 2020
- Preparing new machine learning models used to take weeks Activeloop teams up with NVIDIA to reduce that time to hours - MENAFN.COM - August 4th, 2020
- IoT automation trend rides the next wave of machine learning, Big Data - Urgent Communications - August 4th, 2020
- Decoding Practical Problems and Business Implications of Machine Learning - Analytics Insight - August 4th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Industry 2020 Market Manufacturers Analysis, Share, Size, Growth, Trends and Research Report 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Could this software help users trust machine learning decisions? - C4ISRNet - July 27th, 2020
- Top Five Data Privacy Issues that Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Startups Need to Know - insideBIGDATA - July 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Machine Learning Market will Accelerate at a CAGR of about 39% through 2020-2024 | The Increasing Adoption of Cloud-based Offerings... - July 27th, 2020
- Deep learning's role in the evolution of machine learning - TechTarget - July 1st, 2020
- 2 books to deepen your command of python machine learning - TechTalks - July 1st, 2020
- What I Learned From Looking at 200 Machine Learning Tools - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive... - July 1st, 2020
- Protecting inventions which use Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence - Lexology - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning finds use in creating sharper maps of 'ecosystem' lines in the ocean - Firstpost - July 1st, 2020
- Fake data is great data when it comes to machine learning - Stacey on IoT - July 1st, 2020
- Decisions and NLP Logix Announce Partnership to bring the Power of Machine Learning to Business Process Management - Benzinga - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Medical Imaging Market Strategies and Insight Driven Transformation 2020-2030 - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market to Witness AIBrain, Amazon, Anki, CloudMinds - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning Market Projected to Register 43.5% CAGR to 2030 Intel, H2Oai - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- Learn the business value of AI's various techniques - TechTarget - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning As A Service In Manufacturing Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2018-2023 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Machine Learning in Medicine Market Outlook 2020 Industry Size, Top Key Manufacturers, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and... - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning algorithm from RaySearch enhances workflow at Swedish radiation therapy clinic - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - July 1st, 2020
- What a machine learning tool that turns Obama white can (and cant) tell us about AI bias - The Verge - June 25th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Are Changing Everything. Here's How You Can Get In On The Fun - ExtremeTech - June 25th, 2020
- SLAM + Machine Learning Ushers in the "Age of Perception - Robotics Business Review - June 25th, 2020
- Googles new ML Kit SDK keeps all machine learning on the device - SlashGear - June 25th, 2020
- Machine Learning vs Predictive Analytics: Are they same? - Analytics Insight - June 25th, 2020