About the position
This is a researcher training position aimed at providing promising researcher recruits the opportunity of academic development in the form of a doctoral degree.
Bringing intelligence into Internet-of-Things systems is mostly constrained by the availability of energy. Devices need to be wireless and small in size to be economically feasible and need to replenish their energy buffers using energy harvesting. In addition, devices need to work autonomously, because it is unfeasible to operate them manually or change batteriesthere's simply too many of them. To make the best of the energy available, IoT devices should plan wisely how they spend their energy, that means, which tasks they should perform and when. This requires the development of policies. Due to the different situations, the various devices may find themselves in, it will also vary from device to device which policies are best, which suggests the use of machine learning for the autonomous, individual development of energy policies for IoT devices.
One special focus in this project is the modeling of the power supply of the IoT devices, that means, the submodule that combines energy harvesting and energy buffering. Both are processes that are highly stochastic and probabilistic and vary over time and with the age of the device yet have major impact on a devices ability to perform well. In addition, due to the constraints, the approach itself must be computationally feasible and not itself consume too much energy. Combining machine learning for power supplies with the application goals of the IoT device is therefore a research challenge.
You will reportto the Head of Department.
Duties of the position
Within this project, we will design and validate machine-learning approaches to model power supplies to know more about their current and future state, and energy budget policies that allow IoT devices to perform better and autonomously. The project is cross-disciplinary involving electronic design, software and statistical techniques and machine learning. Depending on the skills of the candidate, different aspect may be emphasized, for instance focusing on statistical modelling of relevant effects, transfer learning and model identification, and explainability of machine learning models. Experience with electronics may be beneficial but are not strictly required.
The research will be carried out in an interdisciplinary environment of several research groups, and under guidance of three supervisors,
The research environments include
Required selection criteria
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is that you have completed a masters degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in computer science, statistical machine learning, applied mathematics, communication- and information technology, electrical engineering, electronic engineering, or an equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms ofNTNUs grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic foundation. If you are unable to meet these criteria you may be considered only if you can document that you are particularly suitable for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerningState Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
Preferred selection criteria
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement.
Salary and condition
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 479 600 per annum, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 4 years including 25% of teaching assistance. Students at NTNU can also apply for this position as part of an integrated PhD program (https://www.ntnu.edu/iik/integrated-phd).
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Information Security and Communication Technologywithin three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must contain:
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according toThe San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Working at NTNU
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheimis a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employeeatNTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Frank Alexander Kraemer, via firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway.
Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma fromChina Credentials Verification (CHSI).
Pakistani applicants are required to provide information of Master Diploma from Higher Education Commission (HEC) https://hec.gov.pk/english/pages/home.aspx
Applicants with degrees from Cameroon, Canada, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Ghana, Nigeria, Philippines, Sudan, Uganda and USA have to send their education documents as paper copy directly from the university college/university, in addition to enclose a copy with the application.
Application deadline: 13.09.2020
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Information Security and Communication Technology
Research is vital to the security of our society. We teach and conduct research in cyber security, information security, communications networks and networked services. Our areas of expertise include biometrics, cyber defence, cryptography, digital forensics, security in e-health and welfare technology, intelligent transportation systems and malware. The Department of Information Security and Communication Technology is one of seven departments in theFaculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
Deadline13th September 2020EmployerNTNU - Norwegian University of Science and TechnologyMunicipalityTrondheimScopeFulltimeDurationTemporaryPlace of serviceNTNU Campus Glshaugen
- Machine Learning Answers: Facebook Stock Is Down 20% In A Month, What Are The Chances It'll Rebound? - Trefis - September 22nd, 2020
- Machine Learning in Education Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Proximity matters: Using machine learning and geospatial analytics to reduce COVID-19 exposure risk - Healthcare IT News - September 22nd, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Market Tends To Show Steady Growth Post Pandemic With Regional Overview and Top Key Players - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- PREDICTING THE OPTIMUM PATH - Port Strategy - September 22nd, 2020
- AI/ML Remains The Most In-Demand Tech Skill Post COVID - Analytics India Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Panalgo Brings the Power of Machine-Learning to the Healthcare Industry Via Its IHD Software - AiThority - September 15th, 2020
- Microchip Partners with Machine-Learning (ML) Software Leaders to Simplify AI-at-the-Edge Design Using its 32-Bit Microcontrollers (MCUs) - EE Journal - September 15th, 2020
- What is 'custom machine learning' and why is it important for programmatic optimisation? - The Drum - September 15th, 2020
- PODCAST: NVIDIA's Director of Data Science Talks Machine Learning for Airlines and Aerospace - Aviation Today - September 15th, 2020
- The Use of Machine Learning to Forecast Progression to Advanced AMD - DocWire News - September 15th, 2020
- How Can Machine Learning Help the Teaching Profession? - FE News - September 15th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning in Automobile Market: Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2024 - The Market Correspondent - September 15th, 2020
- Using machine learning to organize the chemical diversity - Tech Explorist - September 15th, 2020
- Dashboard AI Announces Its Technology Vision for the Foodservice and Hospitality Industry - PRNewswire - September 15th, 2020
- Alfa Releases Second Paper on AI, Using Machine Learning in the Wild - Monitor Daily - September 10th, 2020
- Combatting COVID-19 misinformation with machine learning (VB Live) - VentureBeat - September 10th, 2020
- This artist used machine learning to create realistic portraits of Roman emperors - The World - September 10th, 2020
- Domino Data Lab Named a Leader in Notebook-Based Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning Evaluation by Global Research Firm - Business Wire - September 10th, 2020
- Demonstration Of What-If Tool For Machine Learning Model Investigation - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- RXA to Participate in 2nd Annual A2.AI Conference focused on Machine Learning & Applied AI - PR Web - September 10th, 2020
- 50 Data Science and Analysts Jobs That Opened Just Last Week - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- FSS Launches Next Gen Recon with Machine Learning and Cloud Support - TechGenyz - September 10th, 2020
- Getting to the heart of machine learning and complex humans - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Courses Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 - The Scarlet - August 28th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Network Fetch.ai Partners Open-Source Blockchain Protocol Waves to Conduct R&D on DLT - Crowdfund Insider - August 28th, 2020
- UT Austin Selected as Home of National AI Institute Focused on Machine Learning - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - August 26th, 2020
- Participation-washing could be the next dangerous fad in machine learning - MIT Technology Review - August 26th, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the... - Insurance CIO Outlook - August 26th, 2020
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2020-2027 -... - August 26th, 2020
- Air Force Taps Machine Learning to Speed Up Flight Certifications - Nextgov - August 26th, 2020
- What is AutoML and Why Should Your Business Consider It - BizTech Magazine - August 26th, 2020
- Chatbots Are Machine Learning Their Way To Human Language - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- Explainable AI: From the peak of inflated expectations to the pitfalls of interpreting machine learning models - ZDNet - August 26th, 2020
- Focusing on ethical AI in business and government - FierceElectronics - August 26th, 2020
- Amazon's Machine Learning University To Make Its Online Courses Available To The Public - Analytics India Magazine - August 14th, 2020
- Watch 3 Videos from Coursera's New "Machine Learning for Everyone" - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The... - August 14th, 2020
- Machine learning is pivotal to every line of business, every organisation must have an ML strategy - BusinessLine - August 14th, 2020
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Anyscale Hosts Inaugural Ray Summit on Scalable Python and Scalable Machine Learning - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2020
- Why GPT-3 Heralds a Democratic Revolution in Tech - Built In - August 14th, 2020
- BMW, Red Hat, and Malong Share Insights on AI and Machine Learning During Transform 2020 - ENGINEERING.com - August 14th, 2020
- Algorithm created by deep learning finds potential therapeutic targets throughout the human genome - National Science Foundation - August 14th, 2020
- Ensighten Launches Client-Side Threat Intelligence Initiative and Invests in Machine Learning - WFMZ Allentown - August 6th, 2020
- Hey software developers, youre approaching machine learning the wrong way - The Next Web - August 6th, 2020
- Introducing The AI & Machine Learning Imperative - MIT Sloan - August 6th, 2020
- Who Does the Machine Learning and Data Science Work? - Customer Think - August 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Path to Intelligent Automation - Embedded Computing Design - August 6th, 2020
- Blacklight Solutions Unveils Software to Simplify Business Analytics with AI and Machine Learning - PRNewswire - August 6th, 2020
- AI is learning when it should and shouldnt defer to a human - MIT Technology Review - August 6th, 2020
- Moderna Announced Partnership With Amazon Web Services for Their Analytics and Machine Learning Services - Science Times - August 6th, 2020
- Surprisingly Recent Galaxy Discovered Using Machine Learning May Be the Last Generation Galaxy in the Long Cosmic History - SciTechDaily - August 6th, 2020
- STMicroelectronics Releases STM32 Condition-Monitoring Function Pack Leveraging Tools from Cartesiam for Simplified Machine Learning - ELE Times - August 6th, 2020
- Machine Learning Reveals What Makes People Happy In A Relationship - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- Benefits Of AI And Machine Learning | Expert Panel | Security News - SecurityInformed - August 4th, 2020
- Preparing new machine learning models used to take weeks Activeloop teams up with NVIDIA to reduce that time to hours - MENAFN.COM - August 4th, 2020
- IoT automation trend rides the next wave of machine learning, Big Data - Urgent Communications - August 4th, 2020
- Decoding Practical Problems and Business Implications of Machine Learning - Analytics Insight - August 4th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Industry 2020 Market Manufacturers Analysis, Share, Size, Growth, Trends and Research Report 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Could this software help users trust machine learning decisions? - C4ISRNet - July 27th, 2020
- Top Five Data Privacy Issues that Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Startups Need to Know - insideBIGDATA - July 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Machine Learning Market will Accelerate at a CAGR of about 39% through 2020-2024 | The Increasing Adoption of Cloud-based Offerings... - July 27th, 2020
- Deep learning's role in the evolution of machine learning - TechTarget - July 1st, 2020
- 2 books to deepen your command of python machine learning - TechTalks - July 1st, 2020
- What I Learned From Looking at 200 Machine Learning Tools - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive... - July 1st, 2020
- Protecting inventions which use Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence - Lexology - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning finds use in creating sharper maps of 'ecosystem' lines in the ocean - Firstpost - July 1st, 2020
- Fake data is great data when it comes to machine learning - Stacey on IoT - July 1st, 2020
- Decisions and NLP Logix Announce Partnership to bring the Power of Machine Learning to Business Process Management - Benzinga - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Medical Imaging Market Strategies and Insight Driven Transformation 2020-2030 - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market to Witness AIBrain, Amazon, Anki, CloudMinds - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning Market Projected to Register 43.5% CAGR to 2030 Intel, H2Oai - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- Learn the business value of AI's various techniques - TechTarget - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning As A Service In Manufacturing Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2018-2023 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Machine Learning in Medicine Market Outlook 2020 Industry Size, Top Key Manufacturers, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and... - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning algorithm from RaySearch enhances workflow at Swedish radiation therapy clinic - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - July 1st, 2020
- What a machine learning tool that turns Obama white can (and cant) tell us about AI bias - The Verge - June 25th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Are Changing Everything. Here's How You Can Get In On The Fun - ExtremeTech - June 25th, 2020
- SLAM + Machine Learning Ushers in the "Age of Perception - Robotics Business Review - June 25th, 2020
- Googles new ML Kit SDK keeps all machine learning on the device - SlashGear - June 25th, 2020
- Machine Learning vs Predictive Analytics: Are they same? - Analytics Insight - June 25th, 2020